STEAM - The Fireman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

STEAM - The Fireman

This one from the opposite side of the train in the other silhouette but standard lighting this time

Stan

1/20, f4.5, ISO 3200, 45mm

Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Re: STEAM - The Fireman

Beautifully lit, composed and exposed but it just seems to be the steam railway equivalent of shots of birds on feeders which I know many disapprove of. Had they scattered a few barrow loads of ashes and clinker on the floor to mask the shininess and give the appearance of a steam shed 'back in the day' it may have been different. Mind you, I doubt that 'back in the day' there were many scantily clad ladies to be found sprawled across the locomotives but that shoot was good On reflection then (pun not intended) I like it

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Nicely exposed shot Stan

Tom

Comment

thanks John and Tom

Beautifully lit, composed and exposed but it just seems to be the steam railway equivalent of shots of birds on feeders which I know many disapprove of. Had they scattered a few barrow loads of ashes and clinker on the floor to mask the shininess and give the appearance of a steam shed 'back in the day' it may have been different.
        of course it is part of a museum, the shed is genuine being the site of the old railway works but health and safety jobsworths would not allow ash etc to be sprinkled on the floor

flickr

Comment

A lovely image, the lighting just hits the spot, a good silhouette in context

Nigel

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
            Beautifully lit, composed and exposed but it just seems to be the steam railway equivalent of shots of birds on feeders which I know many disapprove of. Had they scattered a few barrow loads of ashes and clinker on the floor to mask the shininess and give the appearance of a steam shed 'back in the day' it may have been different. Mind you, I doubt that 'back in the day' there were many scantily clad ladies to be found sprawled across the locomotives but that shoot was good On reflection then (pun not intended) I like it

Cheers,
            John
            I can see Johns point, but its still a cracking shot

I would think this is an ideal time to push your PS skills and try a composite with this and replace the floor ....are you going to take the challenge
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I like that a lot, even if you have got a lot of background clutter Stan

As for the floor, you would get the same effect on a wet raining evening, so I cannot see an issue, and if you did try to remove it you would lose the detail in the figure that plays off against it.
              Last edited by TonyT; 26-01-2017, 14:21.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

thanks guys

I would think this is an ideal time to push your PS skills and try a composite with this and replace the floor ....are you going to take the challenge
                a good idea Ian but not sure it would work as apart from not having a suitable floor, not even from the didcot shoot last year, I dont think it would look right as you would still have the red lit pit beneath the train

As for the floor, you would get the same effect on a wet raining evening, so I cannot see an issue
                to be honest I dont have an issue with it either but always willing to look at alternatives

flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                  thanks guys

a good idea Ian but not sure it would work as apart from not having a suitable floor, not even from the didcot shoot last year, I dont think it would look right as you would still have the red lit pit beneath the train
                  buy one its not that expensive - or go out and shoot one :)
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I dont think it would look right as you would still have the red lit pit beneath the train
                    That could be any number of things, a forge or brazier burning in the background would cast a light just the same, along with a cold wet night in the sheds

I think you are over thinking the scene to much.

as an example off the web

mix it with a night version of a shot like this

Last edited by TonyT; 27-01-2017, 10:08.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Funnily enough I like the shiny floor as it gives the reflections, which to me add rather than detract from the image, candidate for B&W??

Regards Paul

Comment

Working...
                      X