Lincoln Cathedral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lincoln Cathedral

Had a go at some light trails passing Lincoln Cathedral... this one about got there, I found it quite tricky to balance the flood lights and the traffic.

Cars squareIMG_5190.jpg

EODS 60d 24-105 f4L

30 secs f16 ISO 100

Thoughts are valued

Re: Lincoln Cathedral

That's a nice idea (the permanence of the cathedral balanced against the movement of vehicles) and well executed. Just a thought to tidy it up, is in possible to tone down the keep left sign, which dominates somewhat, and even hide the parked car in the shadow?
    Canon EOS 7D
    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Agree with what Alex has just said. Also for light trails to be effective, I think you generally need to be shooting down on them slightly.

John

Comment

Nice idea...it has worked...all I can think of is that if you moved further back and used a longer focal length then it would be easier to get the required DoF with a wider aperture and thus allow an even longer exposure...then more car lights...could be better.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Nice composition, however it does seem a bit soft. Did you turn off the IS for the lens, as there the detail on the church is not that sharp.

Tom

Comment

Many thanks for all the comments and encouragement.

Tom... I fotgot to tun the IS off

Car lights 2 Square IMG_5183.jpg

Removed one or two of the road signs

bus and cathedralIMG_5188.jpg

Nigel

Comment

I prefer the first one with the deep blue sky and more stripy light trails. They are all too soft but I'd put that down to direct upload rather than via Flickr.

Cheers,
              John

Comment

An FYI, when you use a tripod for long exposure you need to turn of IS because it causes a slight vibration which gives that soft look.

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                  An FYI, when you use a tripod for long exposure you need to turn of IS because it causes a slight vibration which gives that soft look.

Tom
                  Thank you

Comment

Hey... I like those, on the first image is where I stood in a thunderstorm awaiting the two Lancs over the cathedral that never happened, all that did happen was I got exceedingly wet.

Agree with the comments re the sign, I would personally have darkened down the give way instead of removing it totally as it looks like something should be there, but maybe that is because I saw the first version..

The last one I would darken the lower section possibly as the bus draws your eye away.
                    Last edited by TonyT; 26-01-2017, 18:39.
                    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                      Hey... I like those, on the first image is where I stood in a thunderstorm awaiting the two Lancs over the cathedral that never happened, all that did happen was I got exceedingly wet.

Agree with the comments re the sign, I would personally have darkened down the give way instead of removing it totally as it looks like something should be there, but maybe that is because I saw the first version..

The last one I would darken the lower section possibly as the bus draws your eye away.
                      Thanks for your comments, I'll have a go at toning down the signs. I really wanted the stationary traffic and the bus... maybe tone that down to.

Nigel

Comment

Working...
                      X