EOS 5D MklV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 5D MklV

I have the 5D3, which has never failed to impress, but of course being full-frame, it doesn't have the reach of a crop-senor for wildlife.

My lens is the EF 400-400L Mkll, and a EF 1.4x Mklll

Just before Christmas, I bought a new 7D Mkll, specifically for wildlife shots. However, compared to the 5D3's IQ, I'm somewhat underwhelmed, especially in terms of resolution, and noise.

As such, I am toying with the idea of trading my 5D3 and 7D2, for the 5D4.

The 'bottom line' is, given the 30Mp sensor in the 5D4, would I get a better result than the 7D2, gives with cropping the image of the 5D4, to give a similar image scale?
    Dave

Re: EOS 5D MklV

I'm not able to do the maths but as far as I'm concerned the MkIV is impressive, it locks onto focus in any light and ISO you can go to 16k without any concerns higher if you want to play around during PP
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Decision made I think.

Have someone local that wants to buy my 5D3, and I have advertised my three month old 7DMk11 (UK Stock), with just 521 shutter actuations, in the advert section of the forum.

Dave
      Dave

Comment

This is about image quality...not the equivalent crop sensor v focal length
        ...the science bit......As I understand it the bigger the actual photo site (pixel) on the sensor then more photons are collected and therefore a bigger signal is created which drowns out the noise generated which is fairly constantly produced by the sensor
        As you can see below the higher number of pixels of the 5D4 means smaller pixels and thus there is a potential for more noise.
        This I think is the biggest factor in providing a Full Frame look compared with smaller APSC sensors which have much smaller pixels.
        You might conclude that the 5D4 is going to be noisier than the 5D3 - and it would be except that the 5D4 has a newer processor which is more capable of combatting noise. So photo site size and the newness of the electronics is key.
        Generally APSC photo sites are a league smaller than full frame ones and thus have much smaller photo sites and more noise.

5D3 38.69 square microns
        5D4 28.73 square microns
        7DII 16.65 square microns

It would be interesting to know if the 5DS provides that full frame look...because of the extra pixels its photo sites are only 17.06 square microns - not much bigger than the 7DII..........see more on this http://www.digicamdb.com/compare/can...canon_eos-5ds/
        ...you can compare all sorts of cameras.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

You are correct in what you say Brian, yes I think the answer in a better sensor, and processor in the 5D4.

Technology doesn't stand still. Today's technology is tomorrows history.

I have a mate who has the 5DS, and I don't see any evidence of noise in his low light images.
          Last edited by Dave_S; 26-01-2017, 23:00.
          Dave

Comment

Thanks Dave, thats good to know because I was thinking of upgrading to the 5DS or R at some point just so I can crop and still have a high resolution image...it has to be the best way to get a longer zoom....no extra weight etc. A 50% crop with 5Ds will still be a 25mp image.
            Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Be wary, however, of the 5DS/R. A lot of lens tests being undertaken with them show that very few lenses are capable of doing anywhere near justice to the potential resolution of the sensor, and those are the multi-thousand pound primes. As they say on Photozone.de "50 megapixels are a torture ground for all lenses". Read, for example, their test on the Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 USM L IS II

From everything I've read, a crop to the same size from the 5DS/R is unlikely to give the same quality as the full size image from a 24 megapixel sensor.
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I have no rational proof or evidence to support it, but I'm a big fan of keeping as many pixels in the shot as possible - which is why I take the 150-600 over the higher quality of the 400L. With the same lack of proof or evidence, I think it's easier to focus on the right place with the longer range of a 600 as opposed to a 400. So at 600mm you get more pixels in the right place. So the 100-400 and 400L are better optics but I think I get better results because I get to keep more pixels.

So in your shoes I'd have exchanged the 7D2 for a Sigma 150-600 Sport and used the 5DIII, then possibly upgraded to the IV at some later date. Assuming funding isn't an issue of course.

Of course what I've just written could all be just a load of old toot.
                EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Good points by Andy and Richard.
                  A simple answer to the original question is that the photo sites are bigger in the 5D4 than the 7DII so IQ should be better.
                  Thanks for pointing out the lens compatibility Richard
                  ...sorry its not my thread but I'm interested too...
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

A much discussed topic especially full vs crop

Take a look at this video, especially about 9.20 onwards and 11.15 onwards
                    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Andy, when I upgraded from the EF 400L prime (an excellent lens), I though long and hard about the Sigma 150-600 Sport, and went and had a look at one.

I felt it was too big, and heavy for a walk-about lens, so opted for the 100-400L Mkll, which is far more walk-about comfortable, and when needed, I use it with the EF 1.4x lll TC, to give me 560mm at f/8, with L glass performance. I carried out my own tests using a Spyder Lens Cal target, at various distances and image scale, using the 100-400L Mkll, at 400mm, both with and without the TC. My eyes are not as good as they once were, (I'm 74, and have to wear reading glasses), btt I quite honestly could not tell the difference.

I asked a mate to compare two images, where Lens cal target filled the image, one with the TC, and one without, and he couldn't tell the difference either.

The only issue, although I have not found it to be, is that with the TC in-line, the max aperture is f/8, and centre point focusing only.

The Sigma contemporary, is lighter than the Sport, but of course not weather/dust sealed. I have a couple of mates that use this lens, and both tell me it gets a bit soft a 600mm, so they back it off to 500mm, where it is plenty sharp.

I agree with getting as many pixels in the image as possible is good practice, hence why I am thinking the extra 10 M/pix of the 5D4 will be useful when cropping.

Having owned a 7D1 which I though was the 'bees-knees' at the time, my eyes were opened when I bought the 5D3, in terms of IQ, noise, and low light performance, it is in a different league to the 7D1.

I had hoped that the 7D2 would have been a great improvement over the 7D1, but I am disappointed. Yes, it is better than the 7D1, but not as much as I was expecting. Perhaps, having been spoilt by the 5D3, I was expecting too much.

BTW, attached is a picture taken with the 5D3 + 100-400L Mkll + 1.4x TC (560mm), and it is cropped.

Dave

Robin by Dave, on Flickr
                      Last edited by Dave_S; 27-01-2017, 17:12.
                      Dave

Comment

It's a cracking shot Dave. I can see where you're coming from.
                        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Thanks Andy, as I said, I have been spoilt
                          Dave

Comment

Well, that's it, the deed is done.

I sold my 5D3 to a mate, for the trade-in price, and this morning part/exd the 7D2 for a new 5D4.

Just need to get out, and have a play with it.

Dave
                            Dave

Comment

With this break in weather, I have now had the chance to get out and 'play' with the 5D MklV, and in a word "impressive".

I loved my 5D3, it never let me down, and always impressed me.

At 3.5k, the 5D4 was a serious purchase, and not easy to justify, having an excellent camera like the 5D3. However, I did buy it, and so far I am very happy with it indeed. Especially if I try and forget what it cost (lol).

The 'touch screen' is a very welcome upgrade, especially when changing settings via the 'Q' button. making changes very slick and easy to do.

I am seeing the benefit of the extra pixels on the sensor, when applying a heavy crop.

The one disappointment is the Wi-Fi function, which is aimed primarily at remote control of the camera, and uploading images to a mobile phone, for onward transmission, even immediately following capture. Great for the 'paparazzi' but not the amateur photographer.

Uploading images from the camera to a PC, using wi-fi, instead of the usb cable, is not a straight forward process, and appears to require using FTP and a server. However, this is something that I have got to investigate further.

The nice thing is, that Canon have kept the controls just as they were on the 5D3, and so it feels like using an old friend.

Early days yet, and many things yet to try, and compare with the 5D3, but I think I am going love this camera, as much, if not more than the 5D3.

I have also now traded in my 24-105L Mkl for the new Mkll version. A little bigger and heavier than the Mkl, but the filter size remain the same, which is good. There is a noticeable improvement in the barrel distortion at 24mm, which is very welcome.

Some reviews say that it is a little sharper than the Mkl, but if it is, I don't think there is much in it. Albeit I never found sharpness an issue with the Mkl.

Stated as being of more rugged construction than the Mkl, and to have better shock resistance. Also improved IS capability.

Early days yet for both the camera and the lens, but a very promising start.
                              Last edited by Dave_S; 16-02-2017, 20:29. Reason: typos
                              Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X