Those Crazy Americans!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those Crazy Americans!

Here in America they have "festivals" for everything. Some of them are huge affairs, so much so that they have lost that atmosphere that made them memorable. But when the festival occurs in small town America it creates moments that leave one coming away sometimes in awe and other times laughing.

This series of photos came from The Kumquat Festival in a small town in west Florida called Dade City. I tried to capture the eccentricities of it and I will provide a bit of the story of it.

Dancing Fun 2017 Kumquat Festival by Gordon White, on Flickr

All festivals have their local events going on. This dance troop was showing off their skills to the locals in a dance show at the city hall.

One BIG Head Of Cabbage 2017 Kumquat Festival by Gordon White, on Flickr

Of course you can't help but have a farm atmosphere in a farming town and this cabbage was amazing! It was grown using a new process and I must say I WAS impressed!

Petunia Pig 2017 Kumquat Festival by Gordon White, on Flickr

Of course normally barnyard animals are in the petting zoo. But Petunia Pig MUCH preferred enjoying the events dressed to the nines!

Impromptu Jam Session 2017 Kumquat Festival by Gordon White, on Flickr

As I was perusing the vendor area an impromptu jam session started. It turned out to be an enjoyable show!

Blue Grass Time 02 2017 Kumquat Festival B&W by Gordon White, on Flickr

Blue Grass Time 03 2017 Kumquat Festival B&W by Gordon White, on Flickr

Of course music is generally a staple at these events all over the fruited plane and at The Kumquat Festival Blue Grass music was the music du jour.

Dade City Hardware 2017 Kumquat Festival by Gordon White, on Flickr

Dade City has a lot of history behind it. Trying to get good shots at an event like this isn't easy. But their downtown hardware store was irresistible.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Re: Those Crazy Americans!

I think that you have captured the event with your back story very well.

Tom

Comment

Nice series Tom. I like the pics in colour better and more so the Jam session.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Good capture

Comment

A great set capturing small town America

Cheers,
          John

Comment

It's good to see pictures of the real America rather than the television version we mostly see over here.

That said Petunia the Pig did rather remind me of the film Doc Hollywood...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
              It's good to see pictures of the real America rather than the television version we mostly see over here.

That said Petunia the Pig did rather remind me of the film Doc Hollywood...
              OMG Nigel! I didn't even THINK about that LOL! You are SO right!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                Nice series Tom. I like the pics in colour better and more so the Jam session.
                I would expect no less from you Nathaniel! Your color music photos are stellar!

Comment

Working...
                X