Challenge 126 - Steam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge 126 - Steam

Failed too, when I get the windows steamed up, photography is the last thing on my mind
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Well we got seven and it's not the quantity but the quality that counts

I'll look through them and give my deliberations and verdict later.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Firstly let me express thanks to all those who entered. I know, especially at this time of year, how difficult it can be to get outside taking photographs.

I chose 'Steam' as I saw it provide a very wide range of possibilities from Flying Scotsman blasting down the North Eastern mainline to hot breath on a cold day and I'm glad to say that the images submitted fitted nicely within that interpretation.

AlexR
        A flask of red hot steam
        :
        A simple composition of a flask and lid of tea but the beautiful lighting and considered use of colours make it special.

Daisy M
        Steamy Valentine

A steamed-up window would, alone, have been a good interpretation of the theme. This image is well lit with good control of the exposure avoiding it being blown out by the brighter light outside. What raises it, however, is realising that Valentine's Day fell in the middle of the competition period and the simple addition of a heart makes it both a good interpretation but a topical one too - and pose the inevitable and not so subtle question!

ST-EOS
        _V1A3716-Sh-Resize-800 (Hot Springs?
        )
        Entries are supposed to be titled but, as this wasn't, I'm going to call it 'Hot Springs' and with steam rising it's definitely a good interpretation of the theme. The composition is basically good with some fine detail and colour but I really find the warning post too intrusive.

David Stallard
        "Run out of Steam"

I don't know if this actually is a steam-powered boat but, even if not, the title would cleverly place it within the intended wide scope of the topic. Sadly there's no link to the Flickr image so I can't confirm date taken to ensure it was within the competition period but I'm happy to trust that it was. Composition could have been better but from looking at that mud I'd guess finding the perfect position may have been difficult.

Gordon_H
        Smokin' !

The only submission of a steam engine and, while not essential, I'm glad of one. So many railway photographs capture the classic three-quarter view but this one is more interesting as there is action around it with the fireman coaling, the driver oiling and some official wondering what's making all that smoke. There is also some interesting infrastructure so it is a fine composition but I do feel just a little processing to balance the highlights/shadows could have lifted it that much higher.

Pipebender74
        Age of Steam

I thought this one had a clever title. It must have been taken during a wartime weekend with an old pram that children would have taken around the houses collecting scrap metal for the war effort. The composition is good as it's clear what is happening. Tony admits to being new to Flickr so I can forgive the photo being private but I would have liked to be able to confirm the date taken but will once again give the benefit of the doubt. I'm not sure many here will be using Paint Shop Pro for processing and, whether it's the software or not, I feel this one could have benefitted from a lift. All said and done, though, Tony only joined us this month so all credit for entering the competition especially with such a fine image.

lunarbo
        Fish Market, Tokyo

Considering we're in the depths of winter limiting outdoor photography expedition I was expecting more kitchen/cooking entries where steam is plentiful but, if I could only have one, it would be one like this. It's well composed, exposed, with good steam and an interesting and exotic subject. But Bo, how could you not have been tempted? I'm salivating just looking at it

To the results...

3rd Place: lunarbo with Fish Market
        2nd Place: Daisy M with Steamy Valentine
        1st Place: AlexR with A Flask of Red Hot Steam

So congratulations to Alex who takes the batten for next month

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Ooh thanks John, that is really lovely and very generous comments. Thanks for a great theme which, as you say, provided a wide variety of images, although a shame we didn't continue the recent run of good numbers. Well done to everyone who did get out and enter. I'll put my thinking cap on...
          Canon EOS 7D
          EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
          Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
          flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Hi John,
            Many thanks for your kind words. They will only inspire me to do better.
            I apologise for not making the image available to all on Flickr but I though that I had followed the procedure for doing just that.
            The image was taken at Quorn station in Leicester which is part of the refurbished Great Central Railway and they have steam locomotives running every weekend. As you can see the stations are totally authentic even down to the costumes and typical of the great age of steam.
            Unfortunately however, the cost of a pint in the station bar is at 2017 prices!
            I can also assure you that the image was taken in Feb 2017.

Tony
            Canon EOS 60D; Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS; Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; Canon 50mm f1.8; Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon Speedlite 270EX; Photoolex Speedlite M800C: Various Hoya Filters; PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pipebender74/

Comment

Thanks John for the generous comments & well done Alex, I picked yours as the best also a, great effect & pick of colours. Dave ( Daisy)

Comment

Originally posted by Pipebender74 View Post
                Hi John,
                Many thanks for your kind words. They will only inspire me to do better.
                I apologise for not making the image available to all on Flickr but I though that I had followed the procedure for doing just that.
                The image was taken at Quorn station in Leicester which is part of the refurbished Great Central Railway and they have steam locomotives running every weekend. As you can see the stations are totally authentic even down to the costumes and typical of the great age of steam.
                Unfortunately however, the cost of a pint in the station bar is at 2017 prices!
                I can also assure you that the image was taken in Feb 2017.

Tony

I know it well, often meant to go to one of their period weekends, this makes me even more determined to go, the last time I did, someone ran into the back of me..
                Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Well done all shame I never found anything suitable to shoot

Though I was thinking of travelling a few miles down the road, A fish stall in Tokyo and hot springs in Yorkshire take some beating..
                  Last edited by TonyT; 01-03-2017, 22:38.

Comment

Well done to Alex and the runners up...I now feel shamed not to have entered this time and look forward to the next challenge.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
                      I know it well, often meant to go to one of their period weekends, this makes me even more determined to go, the last time I did, someone ran into the back of me..
                      Check out the Sunday Lunch days. Excellent service and food at good prices in a Pullman environment. Well worth the money.
                      Canon EOS 60D; Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS; Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; Canon 50mm f1.8; Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon Speedlite 270EX; Photoolex Speedlite M800C: Various Hoya Filters; PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pipebender74/

Comment

Thanks, I will

Comment

Thanks for setting and judging the challenge, John, and congratulations to Alex and Daisy.

Alex's flask was always going to be a difficult act to follow ...............although I tried as I wandered around the fishmarket.
                          There were such indescribable things on sale there that my toes were curled and my lips firmly sealed. Eel liver kebabs for example. Yum yum!!
                          Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Well done to all who entered, and to Alex who deservedly won, in my opinion.

Sorry I didn't manage to enter, but the subject wasn't necessarily an easy one for me, especially in a short, dark, winter month where I had very limited camera time.

So, I'm looking forward to seeing what the next challenge is and hopefully I'll get an entry in (I think I said that last month too! )
                            Chris
                            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

well done guys, some really great shots this time.

As for mine - just a play on a theme as it's all could find on a quick outing to get something up! Good reason you couldn't see it on flickr - have never used it and doubt I ever will, all the info is still embedded in the image.

Right then Alex - 'next' ;-)

.DAVID.
                              Take nothing but photo's - leave nothing but footprints!

http://www.davidstallardphotography.com

Comment

Challenge 126 - Steam

Apologies for the late response, life and holidays got in the way. Congratulations to those placed and to all those who made tie. To enter. I had Alex's entry as a winner from it first being posted. Thanks John for running and giving feedback on the entries. Sorry I didn't include a title I was struggling to find time and a network connection at the time I entered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by ST-EOS; 15-03-2017, 21:40.
                                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Working...
                                X