Levi Lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Levi Lights

SWMBO and I returned to Levi in Finland last week for a week's skiing and hopefully Northern Lights. The measly hand luggage allowance of only 5kg meant that the 5D3 had to stay at home and the M5 went on its first foreign holiday.

On the Tuesday our Rep banged on the door to let us know the sky was clear and the lights were out!

Realising that if we took the time to walk down to the local lake for the scenic view of them we might miss much of the display, we decided to try our luck where we were - in amongst the holiday cottages.

When I looked at the results I first thought that we had made a misjudgement, but on reflection I think showing the lights in an urban setting is quite appropriate - it is after all how many Laplanders will see them.

What I am sure of is that you lot will soon let me know if you think I am talking bullshine!

Levi lights (1) by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Levi Lights

So often the lights are shown in the open. Whilst they are great shots they are rather all the same. With this urban scene it works together. The green of the lights against the gold of the tree and the snow covered buildings. Excellent shot John
    Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

I like it ... the way the light wraps the left side of the main tree is nice.

Comment

There's a little bit of magic in that shot. Well done John.
        Russell
        Canon 7D MkII, 550D EF 24-105mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 70-200mm f/4.0L IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro, 300mm f/4L IS USM, Extender EF 1.4x III, Speedlite 600 EX-RT Speedlite 320EX
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/photorussell

Comment

Agree with the others - I like it
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Alan, Enigma, Russell & Chris - thank you for looking and for your encouraging comments
            John Liddle

Comment

A very magical image. Well taken

Tom

Comment

That's a bit good John; really well composed with the nice additional interest from the surroundings

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Tom & John - thanks for looking and commenting
                  John Liddle

Comment

Amazing shots of the phenomena ....you've composed to make the most of the lights swirling up past the trees....which somehow stand out from the background extraordinarily.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian
                      John Liddle

Comment

Works ok for me and as Brian has said, it seems to have a 3D feel to it. I might crop in slightly from the left to get rid of the highlights bottom left which would also allow the tree to frame the shot.

John

Comment

Thanks John
                          John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                          X