Wisley Butterflies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wisley Butterflies

I finally got to RHS Wisley at the weekend. These are the better ones I think and admittedly they're not spectacular (although they are better than I've ever done before with a compact!) but as a first attempt I think they're OK. I struggled a little with light & conditions and getting the right settings for them but I'm hopefully going to go back again before they finish so all comments welcomed on how to improve.

I had to use the built-in flash to get this one.

Glasswing by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

Common Mormon by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

Malachite by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

Malachite by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Wisley Butterflies

1st one is my favourite, let me know when you're thinking of going again as I got short changed on the butterflies lol

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by supergeeman View Post
      1st one is my favourite, let me know when you're thinking of going again as I got short changed on the butterflies lol
      Thanks, I'll drop you a line again. There were plenty of butterflies but being a Saturday plenty of people too. It was a bit of a bun-fight when one decided to alight somewhere!
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

My only critical comment is that I find the bright white patches in the last image compete with the wings. Apart from that one point I think you've captured great images there. I'm not a butterfly man but they look good to me.

Comment

As pointed out, shame about the bright patches on the last one. My favourite is the first one, especially in view of the fact that when I went last week, I couldn't get near one to take a photo. I kept my 100mm macro on and the Glasswings kept their distance. On the plus side, it wasn't as busy as when I'd been before but on the negative side, I didn't think there were as many butterflies as previous visits.

John

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I agree that on closer inspection the bright patches are somewhat distracting.
            Chris

Comment

Excellent set.

Tom

Comment

Wow, super shots

Comment

really like no 1.

Comment

Just seen these. Like no. 1 but all nice.

Stan(II)
                    Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
                    Lightroom; Photoshop

Comment

Thanks all.
                      Chris

Comment

Working...
                      X