eos-m update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

eos-m update

i have played around with the new to me eos-m and macro for a couple of days and come to the conclusion that the macro path is not really one that draws my interest that much .so tonight i have swopped the lens back for my old 70-200 f4 ..this now stills gives me a useable walk around second camera and lens for the summer in a lightweight package .so either the 80D and sigma and eos-m and either the 70-200 lens or the wide angle will do also got to try the M out with a t.c and /or ext tubes .lifes full of twists and turns inem

Re: eos-m update

And while on the subject of the EOS- M series, (M5 in my case) I have decided to shift completely from a "pure" DSLR (having used a Canon 6D for many years) onto a mirrorless system. It seemed to me that the M5 has finally come very close indeed to the quality of a DSLR. Reviews from early adopters of the M5 convinced me this was the right decision. The only regular criticism I have seen relates to the fact that the screen rotates down and not to the side, making selfies difficult if the camera is loaded onto some kind holder. Never having been a fan of selfies this doesn't bother me. The advantages are a much lighter kit, and at my advanced age this is not an insignificant virtue. Also I can use several of my EF lenses on the M5 with the adapter (although this does increase the weight of course).
    Which brings me to the point of this post. Isn't it about time we had some more coverage in EOS Magazine of the Canon M-series cameras now that mirrorless is getting to be so sophisticated?
    Lynton
    Body: EOS M5.
    Lenses: EF-M 18 - 150 mm, EF-M 11 - 22mm
    Processing on a Mac.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynjon View Post
      Isn't it about time we had some more coverage in EOS Magazine of the Canon M-series cameras now that mirrorless is getting to be so sophisticated?

I am pleased you asked. I'm currently working on an article for the April-June 2017 issue looking at the progress of the Canon mirrorless cameras from the EOS M to the EOS M6.
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

I must admit to being confused over their numbering system for the mirrorless range, with the M6 being the replacement for the M3, but being numbered above, although subservient to the M5.
        Last edited by TonyT; 16-02-2017, 21:29.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I was watching a review and their take was that canon is changing the naming of the m line to match that of their DSLR line where the lower the number the better the camera. So what we well have then is the m10 as a entry level the m6 as the intermittent level and the m5 as the high level

Tom

Comment

M3 is a fly in that ointment then?

I wonder if 7, 8 and 9 are in the offing
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by TonyT View Post
              M3 is a fly in that ointment then?

I wonder if 7, 8 and 9 are in the offing
              Yep the 3 is out of place. However the M6 is almost identical to the 5 but w/o the viewfinder. So if you don't need a viewfinder the M6 is the pick. But if you want a viewfinder then the M5 is the buy.

I'm just wondering what the new M3 or M1 will look like? Maybe a full frame mirrorless

Tom

Comment

So in a way if you look at it like that, selling the optional viewfinder is pointless as it then puts the m5 and m6 in the same price bracket.
                Last edited by TonyT; 17-02-2017, 08:54.

Comment

Working...
                X