RPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RPS

Anyone in it? Plus points, drips - apart from price. I'm considering joining, it seems to be quite active on a local front. Magazine seems as good as others you'd pay for. Opinions and experiences appreciated.
    TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Re: RPS

Yes I joined a few years ago....so I could go for LRPS which is their first level distinction (got that in 2015) ...will probably do APRS soon ...it gave me focus and thats why i joined. I also did a wedding photography course at a discount price. The mag is very good yes......they are about the photography not about the kit which is refreshing.
    Their associated clubs and regions have quite a few events too...competitions etc......well worth joining.
    (their forum doesn't get used much - so as an on-line community Ive not found it useful)
    I also joined their Documentary and Travel groups....both have mags, events and competitions.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian. I'd never really considered it but one of the Clubs I joined has a lot of people very actively involved in it. A couple of Fellows a bunch of ARPS and I guess quite a few L's too. I went to an L advisory day last year to get a feel for it. Not so sure I'm interested in the distinctions, I'd like to think I could get an L ok but the A seems to need a "style" which I'm not sure I want to develop given my varied interests photography wise.
      But the magazines seem interesting. One of the F's is very involved in the visual arts group and I've seen their mag too which was good. I'm registered on their forum but haven't posted. I've just sacked my Outdoor Photography subscription and might do the same with EOS although I'm undecided on that one. Kit wise I'm happy that I've learnt enough to make an informed decision on what I want/need now and I'm pretty happy with what I've got. So as you say, their being about the photography is what matters.
      TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

I think the distinctions criteria is tricky...there is a large element of judges opinion and preference especially at A.....the L is more about having good technique and demonstrating competence. The process of going for a distinction helps concentrating your mind to a disciplined effort to make sure everything is right....which concentrates the mind as you need to print and display 10 shots which will be scrutinised by a panel against specific criteria.
        I think thats a useful process as for most of us we can satisfy ourselves that we've done a decent job knowing that the images are only going to be seen on-line and no one is going to be that critical.
        If you are going to the NEC photography show there are usually discount deals on membership....I'd recommend it over any mag subscription. all the best.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
        X