View from the top......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

View from the top......

..... of the chairlift at South Point, Levi, Finland.

There is a wonderful blue run down from here (the sort that makes even people like me look as though they can ski).

This is an eight-shot hand held (portrait) using the EOS M5.

Levi - View from top of South Point lift by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: View from the top......

Superb John. I do like a nice stitched pano and this is just that Some may be uncomfortable with the blown sun (and I did watch a YouTube recently on dealing with them in PS) but it doesn't offend me. Anyone not clicking the link to see it in all it's majesty on Flickr is doing themselves - and you - a disservice as it needs to be seen LARGE

Cheers,
    Johnb

Comment

Thank you John.

Can you advise the link for the YouTube video re. dealing with blown out suns?
      John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
        Thank you John.

Can you advise the link for the YouTube video re. dealing with blown out suns?
        If I can find it! I did look for it again but failed. From memory the technique was to copy an adjacent colour area and paint it into the blown centre with a percentage of translucence. I think! I'll look for it and get back to you.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Really nice ...I thought the blown sun would be inevitable...I'd be interested in that video too.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks for looking and commenting Brian
            John Liddle

Comment

Nice one John, in fact superb been playing about with my Pano head....or I would if the weather improves, started figuring stuff out like look down a feature line in the foreground, such as you have with the fence, that way it appears straight.

Are you doing this freehand? as I wondered about the slight curve in the sky, from reading up on nodal points etc as I have mine now set up that should disappear? (Not a criticism BTW, Its just I am trying to figure all of these things out myself from scratch.)
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks for your kind comments Tony.

Yes, it is all "freehand" as you might call it - in this case it involved swivelling the body to do the panning, so any notion of rotating round a nodal point was straight out of the window!

The main difficulty I can see with getting the camera/lens combination to rotate about the nodal point is finding the necessary data about the lens to allow you to set it up correctly. Have you managed to find data for your lenses?
                John Liddle

Comment

Originally posted by John Liddle View Post
                  Thanks for your kind comments Tony.

Yes, it is all "freehand" as you might call it - in this case it involved swivelling the body to do the panning, so any notion of rotating round a nodal point was straight out of the window!

The main difficulty I can see with getting the camera/lens combination to rotate about the nodal point is finding the necessary data about the lens to allow you to set it up correctly. Have you managed to find data for your lenses?
                  Yes, worked it out, set camera up on tripod, use 2 posts, align take picture, turn camera about 15 degrees left and right and take 2 more, if they do not line up, move the camera forward aft over rotation point until they do...however, charts are here for most lenses and bodies

also for manually doing it

Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

This is the pano head I bought, they were megga expensive new like $700 and that was like 10 years ago, the multi row added another $500 to that. I hope you do not mind me putting up the picture, I have bought an arca plate to put on the base to make it easier to handle and want a pano head to mount on the vertical plane so I can use my L bracket on it and I will then have the full capability. Still a superb bit of kit considering it is secondhand and over 10 years old.

Last edited by TonyT; 23-02-2017, 17:12.

Comment

thats a wow shot John well done
                      Last edited by Tigger; 23-02-2017, 18:06.
                      :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks for your encouragement Ian
                        John Liddle

Comment

Deservedly so John.

Comment

That is a lovely shot John

Tom

Comment

Thank you Tom
                              John Liddle

Comment

Working...
                              X