EOS 700D and external flash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS 700D and external flash.

I have an irritating little problem with my EOS 700D whenever I connect an external flash to the hotshoe - the display blanks.

If I press the Info button, the display will come back for a few seconds then blank again.

I've tried it with a Canon 430EX II, a Yongnuo 565 and a cheap brand I can't quite remember the name of offhand. They all exhibit the same symptoms, but when I add my Yongnuo 602 wireless trigger to the hotshoe, it works fine.

Does anyone have any ideas?
    Canon EOS 6D Mk II, 700D, Canon 24-105mm L, 100-400mm, 100mm f2.8 L Macro.

Re: EOS 700D and external flash.

I don't know....logic says is is a camera fault. The flashes have a different impedance than the trigger....thus maybe the flashes draw more current from the camera than the trigger? In which case are your batteries fully charged. is there any tracking between hot shoe contacts that might short the camera out....just my thoughts from an electrical perspective.
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Thanks Brian - I had that sinking feeling there was a camera fault, but thought I'd ask anyway. Batteries are fully charged - but it doesn't seem to matter about charge status and I've cleaned the contact with switch cleaner - no sign of any tracking.

I'll spend some time (whatever that it) and try to really quantify the issue, but as I'm using the wireless triggers more and more, I think I'll live with it for now until camera upgrade times comes round!

Comment

Sounds like a good strategy!
        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Weird I have the yongnuo 565 and it works fine on my 80D and eos.m . So I would suggest it's either a fault with your camera ,unlikely as the flash trigger works or something in the camera menu or flash gun menu rtfm

Comment

Well, last night, I decided to try to find out whether the problem was with the camera or flash or photographer.

I checked the camera, cleaned the contacts again, did the same on my Canon flash ... everything working OK. Put the flash on the camera and the screen shut down. Then my wife walked in and switched the overhead light on ... screen turned on!

In short, I have a silicon case on the camera (to protect it from showers and dust). The case works great until you put a flash on the camera, then the flap which normally protects the flash gets in the way of the rear light sensor, the camera thinks an eye is looking through the viewfinder and turns the screen off! As a wireless trigger isn't as large as the flash, this doesn't happen with them.

Simple really and saved me a rather embarrassing conversation if I'd taken it in for repair (as I'd have removed the silicon cover!)

Comment

Brilliant...made me laugh! Glad you got it sorted out.
              Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Working...
              X