Clear All

New cameras launched.

Malcolm.
    760D
    EF 50mm f1.8,EF 28-135 IS USM,
    Sigma 10-20 DC HSM,EFS 18-55 IS STM
    EF 70-300 IS USM
    Kenko Teleplus HD 1.4 DGX
    YN685ll,YN568EXll,YN468,YN622TX and YN622TRX's.

Re: New cameras launched.

77D?? Is that between the 70 and 80? Very odd numbering............. Priced a bit below the 80, so what's missing?
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

It is confusing at first sight....an upgraded digic processor looks attractive....

77D has a smaller battery and 6fps (7fps on 80D)....so definitely sits below the 80D......but will it bring the 80D price down...
      Last edited by @imagesBV; 15-02-2017, 07:52.
      Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

built to replace the 750 and 760d models ,whats interesting though is inbuilt 5 axis stabilisation in both bodies .canon have taken a giant techno leap forward step with these two bodies ,and hopefully a sign of things to come .
        and yet another mirrorless body joins the trio of new releases

START SAVING

Comment

While it's good to see Canon bringing in new features, they're still only implementing stuff other makers have had for years - IBIS has been available in Olympus cameras at least since the E-M1 from 2013. The M6 rumours aren't spectacular either. With Nikon looking like they're going down the pan, cancelling whole product lines pre-launch and not having any mirrorless options, Canon should be well placed to dominate but they're not leading the market, if anything they're trailing it at the moment.

Time to up their game and do something really interesting rather than incremental DSRL upgrades and copying stuff others have already done.
          EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

It seems that they're trying to move the current 750D/760D "number pairing" further apart, with the 800D replacing the 750D and the 77D the 760D.
            https://www.dpreview.com/news/621445...ounces-eos-77d

Interesting to see that trade-in value from Wex for a 750D - £270. That has at least solved one question I had, and I'll definitely be ebaying mine when I'm ready to upgrade!
            Chris
            80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

But the much anticipated 6D replacement hasn't been announced?
              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

I was talking to a staff member in Jesups yesterday...he says they get to play with the gear when the shop is quiet and mirrorless has proven to be better in focus and image quality than the Nikon and Canon DSLRs in their test set ups....all of their staff have switched to mirrorless Fuji and Olympus. A bit worrying for continuity of the format.....but I don't think we need to panic yet.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

There's still an element of horses for courses but mirrorless options are getting much closer to their DSLR competition and in some cases, IMHO, they're a better option. I've been using an old Fuji X-E1 with 18mm lens since before Christmas and it's my take everywhere combination. The size, handling and image quality are excellent and it cost me peanuts as a used camera. Losing the AA filter has a major impact, though that's compared to my 7D2 with cheap glass - no doubt if I put a 17-40 L on the 7D2 it would be competitive.

For stuff where I need reach and a high frame rate - wildlife - there's still no alternative to a DSLR with a long lens and I'm not convinced the current range of mirrorless cameras would be capable enough even if there was a sigma 150-600 option. The step up from the Fuji Xt-1 to the -2 is apparently massive but still nowhere near the class of a 7D2 or D500.

What does give me hope for Canon is their commitment to the M range which seems to be scaling up significantly. Apart from the native glass where I think they do need to start expanding the range significantly. Buying an M series for small size and portability does not fit with buying an adaptor and sticking an EF or EF-S lens on it. OK as a stopgap but Canon need to ship more native glass or it wont be an attractive product.

And yes, they've shipped another EOS M, the M6, without an integrated viewfinder. Dolts.
                  EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

So after looking at a couple of reviews of the M6, it looks like it is a M5 in a upgraded M3 body. In the US the price difference between the M5 and M6 is $200. With a built in view finder on the M5 and a bit more features, the M5 is a better buy than the M6 if you choose to by the optional viewfinder for the M6

Tom

Comment

he says they get to play with the gear when the shop is quiet and mirror less has proven to be better in focus and image quality than the Nikon and Canon DSLRs in their test set ups
                      I've tried my Sony mirror-less camera for action shots and its amazingly bad, I'm sure they will improve and all the demos I've seen make them look fantastic but in reality there no match for a DSLR there so easy to use and set up.

Maybe only a Sony thing but it takes me 5mins just to go through all the menu options and sub menu options just to change simple settings plus you need the eyes of a hawk to read and view them as the text & icons are so small,and don't get me started on battery life

On a plus note they do take nice images with good clarity/colour and detail, just not workable for me at the moment.

Paul
                      EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                      Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

I've been there between my 50D and 5D3, I expensively tried Olympus OMD and Fuji XT1 and XPro!....neither were good for action - 10% keepers - and with 5D3 they are nearly all keepers and those that are not are due to me.
                        as for long zooms the XF100-400 is well regarded.....that and an XT2 are the best there is at the moment.
                        I've been an early adopted once...It will be some time yet before I switch again.

Looking at the 77D....its looking good - bang up to date and interesting, albeit no weather sealing which is a shame.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post

Looking at the 77D....its looking good - bang up to date and interesting, albeit no weather sealing which is a shame.
                          I feel these are just try the market models Brian ,the next round of top/middle range cameras should have us all foaming at the mouth ,just wish canon would drop the rarely used video functions on the cameras and lower the price .a fast focus camera designed for just taking photos at a reasonable price would kill the competion dead

Comment

I suspect many people do use the video functions - just not the type of people who post on sites like this.
                            In any case, video is mainly a software (or firmware, I guess, to be correct) function, doesn't add much to the cost of the camera. The 50D had no video, but Magic Lantern added it with no problem.

Comment

Actually I use the video on my cameras quite a lot , and would be disappointed with a body that didn`t have it . I think the 80D has been a mile stone release with the improved dynamic range , and I am hoping for a 7D mklll with even more improvement , think the Mkll was a bit of let down sensor wise .

Comment

Working...
                              X