Barge Mormaen 15 and friends make a seven tonne splash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barge Mormaen 15 and friends make a seven tonne splash

I didn't know this was happening until I was woken at 7 o'clock this morning when two 40 tonne diggers started playing marbles with 7 tonne blocks of granite by moving them around the steel platform of a very big barge. What they're actually doing is depositing this 'armour stone' on the beach where it will be placed around the base of the cliff to halt erosion of the soft sandstone and, as my house is on top of that cliff, albeit separated from the edge by a railway line, I didn't mind the rude awakening one bit.

This is the first of an anticipated five loads which is being quarried and loaded at Penryn in Cornwall a day's sail away.

5D3_5244-Edit by John Leah, on Flickr

This is an inferior image shown for the context it provides. It's spoiled by having had to shoot into the sun and, while I did take five images for HDR, it wasn't a success so I chose just one and processed that:

5D3_5176 by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ColytonJohn; 21-02-2017, 08:58.

Re: Barge Mormaen 15 and friends make a seven tonne splash

Any particular reason for this not attracting any comments

Cheers,
    John

Comment

I've only just seen this post a John. The first really jumps out as a cracking shot( pardon the pun). There's a simplicity to it that I really like.
      Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thanks Alan, I appreciate you looking and commenting

It did surprise me that an image with numerous Flickr views and faves should somehow have remained so resolutely below this forum's radar.

Cheers,
        John

Comment

sorry John only just seen this, its a bit disappointing when you see views with no comments

I'm with Alan first shot is cracking, but maybe loose the beach in the bottom corner?
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Cracking shot.

Comment

Thanks Ian and Lighthouse

I agree that small patch of sand is an unwelcome intrusion. The reason I left it is that I'm trying to get into the habit of keeping to standard aspect ratios and with this one I couldn't go higher in the frame as it's cropped right on the horizon so to lose the sand would also mean reducing the width making the sides too tight. I think here I'll just forget about standard ratios and crop the bottom

Cheers,
              John

Comment

Super shot and well timed...
                I often just go through the 'whats new' link....so if there have been lots of new posts 0r just comments then any one post is suddenly way down the list.
                Other sites keep posts in order of origination which in some ways works better...rather than be pushed down the list by every comment.
                Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Sorry John, was busy with the Grandchildren this weekend, and I just got home from work, so didn't spend a lot of time on line. Nice shot

Tom

Comment

I can't see your first image John but the second is spot on, well captured. I don't currently have regular access to the. Forum so am unable to add anything as to why your original image didn't get the recognition it deserves

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

The chap in the second image gives it depth and interest, good exposure control too, your eye goes around the image and that for me says it works.

Comment

Thanks folks The first image disappeared when I applied and uploaded the crop Tigger suggested but I've now corrected the link

I also use the 'Whats New' link and it never ceases to amaze me just how rapidly a post can become lost in the depths but without changing the whole structure of the forum I can't see how the situation can be improved. Regularly visiting those groups I have a particular interest in does reveal some gems I'd missed and I suppose that's the only option open to us

Cheers,
                        John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
                          Thanks folks The first image disappeared when I applied and uploaded the crop Tigger suggested but I've now corrected the link
                          Thats it blame me but it works better
                          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

like no 1, contains a cracking shot of a naval term spurlash!

Comment

Thanks Haydn Seven tonnes of finest Cornish granite makes a most impressive splurlash

Cheers,
                              John

Comment

Working...
                              X