EOS M5 Sample Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EOS M5 Sample Images

So back in December I purchased the EOS M5 and have used it as my main walk around camera. Other than how Canon designed the flip screen to fold below the camera, which IMO is useless, the M5 is a significant upgrade over the M3. In fact, IMO, it is almost in par with a DLSR. The focus is quick and fast and at 7 fps it is on par with the 5DMKIII. But can this little camera be used for Bird Photography.

So I know that a lot of you don't like the Tamron line of lens, but I find Tamron one of the best. Here in the US they offer a 6 year warranty that no other lens maker has. So what does that mean, I had my Tamron 150-600 and the AF focus failed on the Lens. I took it to my local camera shop, they sent it to Tamron and in 3 weeks I had the lens back. Not only did the replace the AF mechanism, they also replace the stabilization mechanism at no charge. Pretty happy with their service. So I them I got the Tamron 70-300mm to attach to the M5 body and took it outside to take some bird images around the feeder to see how the autofocus worked and if I could get any decent images:

I decided to post the images here because they really don't meet the standards to posts in the Bird section.

The 1st is a house finch on the bird feeder:

IMG_1568.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr
    1/200 sec @ f/6.3, ISO 100 @ 300mm

This on the background is to messy but I do like the results on the Black-eyed Junco

IMG_1580.jpg by tesarver, on Flickr

1/1000 sec @ f/6.3, ISO 2000 @ 300mm

Both are handheld.

Comments welcomed

Tom

Re: EOS M5 Sample Images

FYI, the only sharpening done was in Lightroom

Comment

Looks good tom and personally I would have posted them in the bird section it's for everyone to post in not just for good pics exclusively . Yes they do indeed look good ,the only questions I would ask is how does it work on birds in flight and if it's the camera with just a rear screen how does it hold up in sunlight

Comment

The M5 has the viewfinder, it's the M6 that has only a rear screen...
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
          Looks good tom and personally I would have posted them in the bird section it's for everyone to post in not just for good pics exclusively . Yes they do indeed look good ,the only questions I would ask is how does it work on birds in flight and if it's the camera with just a rear screen how does it hold up in sunlight
          Jeff, haven't master BIF even with the 7DMKII, but with that said I have tracked BIF with the M5 and it locks on focus fine IMO. As Andy said the M5 has a built in view finder.

Tom

Comment

A very interesting camera....from the review I've watched the tracking is excellent but can be troubled by the subject approaching you...rather than passing you.
            I'm looking forward to seeing more from the M5...sounds like a gem!
            Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

That then tom makes it a put on hold till funding allows tool ,I'm quite impressed with the mki eos-m I have just bought and one with a viewfinder would be a improvement . Keep on posting the images from it tom ,my wife doesn't read this forum luckily

Comment

Those are good Tom and I don't think there is anything about them that says "don't put in the Birds section".

I have just posted a Cormorant pic there and I too am pleased with the M5.
                Last edited by John Liddle; 17-02-2017, 20:35. Reason: corrected bird ID
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

BTW I believe the reason the screen flips downwards is so when you are videoing yourself it looks more natural when you check the focus or whatever, as looking up/left/right is unnatural, but down is something people do in conversations.

Comment

Working...
                  X