Hollicombe Tunnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hollicombe Tunnel

Hollicombe Park is built on the site of a long demolished gas works. Even when in operation there was a public footpath running through it leading to the beach and passing under the railway via this tunnel. It was originally built in stone but later extended to accommodate a railway siding above that fed the gas works with coal.

Some graffiti can be appreciated as a true art form yet it seems the more dark and secluded the 'canvas', the more the standard of work diminishes.

Five image HDR:
    5D3_5159-Edit by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Re: Hollicombe Tunnel

like the composition and vibrant colours

Stan
    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan

Cheers,
      John

Comment

good use of HDR and works well
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Ian

I did take some other sets looking both up and down the tunnel but even two stops under wasn't enough to prevent blowing out the 'light at the end of the tunnel'. A shame as the green algae sparkling on the damp walls was very pretty. I think I'll wander over there now for another go but at 7 image HDR and wider bracketing so watch this space

Cheers,
          John

Comment

have you tried creating another image from the under exposed image and pulling back the exposure another stop? I've done this in the past if I can't return to a location and it works, in fact once did 2 further copy images and made a 7 stop from a 5 bracket image -

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Not as such but I did try to improve the least burned out image with the adjustment brush but there was nothing left to reveal. I'm just back from a walk on the beach and park so have a card full of images to work with so fingers crossed. I don't feel very optimistic though because the weather is dull and both sea and sky a uniform grey - maybe I'll just insert a Santorini sunset

Cheers,
              John

Comment

good luck with your images - looking forward to seeing the "sunset" ones

Comment

Very well exposed and a good use of the HDR process John

Tom

Comment

Nice HDR composition John
                    Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Thanks Tom and Derek

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Nicely processed, John, a good example of when HDR works best, but I would much rather see the green stuff than the graffiti, so hope you got/get something.
                        Canon EOS 7D
                        EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                        Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                        flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I like the image as it is. Very nice and has got a 3D effect!
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Thanks Alex and Nat

The reshoot didn't go well despite using 7 images and experimenting with the bracketing the brightly lit tunnel mouth was still too blown out to be useful. I have since noticed ISO was set to auto which resulted in some really high numbers so what I'll try next (when there's some colour in the sky) is to use a tripod and manual camera settings to see if that works.

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

I have to say I do not find the slight over-brightness at the end of the tunnel distracting - it might not be perfect, but it's jolly good!
                              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                              X