Monnow bridge, Monmouth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monnow bridge, Monmouth

This bridge is the last remaining one in the UK with a fortified gate house and is a National Monument and Grade 1 listed building.

We had driven through thick fog to get to Monmouth and although this cleared, the day remained unremittingly grey with flat light, so the images below are not very special. Still an interesting place though.

Monnow bridge (2) by John Liddle, on Flickr

Monnow bridge by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Monnow bridge, Monmouth

Very interesting. I'm sure I've been to Monmouth but didn't know of the bridge so will seek it out next time I'm in the area.

Re the pics I feel the first could have been better as a landscape taking in the other side of the road and using the parapet as a lead in but I suspect you were hampered with the lens not going much wider although a stitch could have worked. Of course there may have been something nasty just out of shot

The second is a more pleasing composition with the bank leading nicely up to the bridge The foreground isn't pretty although all those molehills add interest

Cheers,
    John

Comment

John, I really hope you don't mind, and I will remove this post if you ask, but I have only recently upgraded to Lightroom so I'm learning, practicing and playing around a lot. I can see from your exif that you have imported it through LR but when I saw your image, although as you say it was obviously really flat grey light, I wanted to see if I could improve it by applying what I had learned, particularly as you said it was 'not very special' yet you had clearly driven some way to get there. So, doing little more than playing with sliders from your jpg (particularly the contrast), this is what is readily available (albeit soft because direct upload). I do absolutely understand if you say that yours is actually the correct representation of the scene on the day and that is what you wanted to show. Others may also think the greens have been pushed too far. Just offering an option that may make the images a little more 'special' for you.
      I have deleted all files from my hard drive. Please see this as much as a learning experience for me, and not a criticism.
      Attached Files
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
        John, I really hope you don't mind........
        I certainly don't - I am always keen to learn how another eye sees the scene!

I should point out that I have already tweaked the image to get what I posted above. The plain vanilla version is below.

Monnow bridge (Original) by John Liddle, on Flickr
        John Liddle

Comment

Thank you for looking and commenting John.

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
          .......... I'm sure I've been to Monmouth but didn't know of the bridge so will seek it out next time I'm in the area.
          Good idea - but try to pick a sunny day!
          John Liddle

Comment

Dull days is what mono was made for...

Johns Bridge.jpg

Strewth! I'd forgotten what a mess direct upload makes of sharpness...
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Thanks Nigel - I had also played with a mono version, but in the end decided to leave it as colour - both work I think.
              John Liddle

Comment

Working...
              X