The Tunnel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tunnel

I'd been trying to get this five image HDR of the foot-tunnel to Hollicombe beach to work but I couldn't get it right with PS (PC user so no Aurora yet). That was until I 'discovered' NIK HDR Pro 2 (it had been on my PC all along yet accessed via Export rather than Edit In so I missed it). Anyway, here's my attempt at salvaging the 'tunnel' shots:

5D3_5201_HDR-Edit by John Leah, on Flickr

I still think it's too bright at the end

Here's an additional image from the other direction where the 'light at the end of the tunnel' was more kind:

5D3_5169_HDR by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by ColytonJohn; 24-02-2017, 17:00.

Re: The Tunnel

I'd say your nearly there - try shooting 7 or maybe 9 that will give you better control over the white sky. I tend to find the more extreme the exposures are the more brackets you need - but loving the shot and its one you can nail I bet
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I think that it's well done John

Tom

Comment

Thanks Ian and Tom

I'm working on the shot from the other direction looking out to sea which may come out better. We'll see

Cheers,
        John

Comment

I really like the first one. I'd be tempted to darken the path and the end. The second is well done but the sign and railings are distracting as is the sky.
          TS-E17 F4L, 70-300L, 100 F2.8L Macro. http://www.flickr.com/photos/waynelsworth/

Comment

sea one is very nice and well done
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

John, I like them both and they each have far more positives than negatives, so thanks for persevering.
              In the first I particularly love the green colouring and the fact there is just so much more tunnel. The brightness at the end doesn't bother me at all, and I really like the blueish wet of the path. What I think works less well is that it may be too bright inside the tunnel, particularly on the left and about a third of the way in; if this was darker it might give a wider tonal range. If you could get the depth of colour of the second into the first I think that would be perfect. But to be honest I'm being really picky trying to offer suggestions as you are clearly not quite happy yourself. I might tidy up some leaves on the floor too.
              In the second I really love the added contrast and texture caused by the stronger light source and what looks like damper walls. I like the view out of the other end, and how the steps lead you right and away. It is only a shame there isn't more tunnel and more colour on the walls at that point.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

HDR is gret fun :-)
                ef-r

Comment

Thanks folks

I've given both some little tweaks and a big one for the second image as I've got rid of the fence. For now I think that's about as far as I can go with them but will revisit as there's so much more to extract from this location.

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

Really like the look of those John, pity you can't combine the iridescence of the first with the exit of the second, I've never given HDR a go, maybe I should.

Comment

Thanks Tim

Yes HDR is definitely worth a go and with HDR Efex Pro 2 now Google so free to download what's stopping you?

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Downloading now as I type this post

Comment

Nice work John, like # 1 image very much. Are the tracks from your equipment trolley, or someone taking a short cut with a supermarket one ha.
                          Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Thanks Derek the tracks were a pushchair but I like the idea of using a shopping trolley to carry my camera kit

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

I think you are getting there John - the only gripe I have is an effect I have observed in images I have processed myself to try and tone down a bright sky - there is a slight lighter halo where the light area of sky meets the darker surroundings. This seems to be an artefact of the HDR process and I am not sure whether there is any way of dealing with it.
                              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                              X