So pleased with my 7D (MK I) purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So pleased with my 7D (MK I) purchase

I have recently purchased a second hand 7D and so pleased with it so far. I sold all my Canon gear after a safari to South Africa two years ago to support my other passion - my Leica setup.

I am off to SA again in three months so clearly, being familiar with Canon decided to buy in to this system again. I had previously owned a 5D then 5D MKII but this time, on a more limited budget and wanting more reach I decided on a 7D. I have the 40mm pancake for now and thinking about buying either a 70 - 200mm f2.8 MK I and a 1.4x convertor, or the 70 - 300mm L. I have owned both before and leaning towards the 70 - 200mm to have a little more control over depth of field and better low light possibilities, with the 1.4x convertor to give me a bit more reach when I need it. I had thought about the MK I 100 - 400mm but not so keen on push pull lenses and can't justify the cost of the MK II.

I nearly had buyers remorse after reading all the stories about focus problems and noise issues some users seem to have with the 7D. Happily, I am very pleased with the output from the 7D and looking forward to getting used to the rather complicated auto focus possibilities this camera has. I am playing safe for now and using single point. Coming from the Leica I do like keeping it simple.

All the best Peter

Re: So pleased with my 7D (MK I) purchase

Congratulations the 7D mk1 is a fine camera, I have one myself and it's far more capable than I am. The only shortcoming I find is the dubious low light/high ISO performance (hardly a concern on safari, though ) and it was for this reason I took the step up to FF with a 5D3. I had considered selling the 7D (and the EF-S 15-85 which is the only non EF lens I have) but realise both would only fetch about the same price as the M3 I'd been considering but that's far less able so I've decided to keep my 7D for use when I don't want to risk my precious FF + L glass (like going on safari )

Cheers,
    John

Comment

It is a fine camera, I had one for sale on behalf of an old gent friend and was impressed by it, the new owner got a bargain as it had about 250 shots in it in total.. But. I digress, have you considered hiring a lens or is it cheaper to simply buy. For what is worth I have both versions of the 100-400, I find the push pull a lot easier to zoom, but that's just a personal thing, I don't buy into the dust pump scenario though as any lens that extends or contracts with zooming has by its design to suck air in or expel it, and canon have many.

As an example a months hire of a mk1 100-400 is about £220.

Hire cameras, lenses and other photographic equipment

The 70-200 2.8 will give you good low light control in dawn dusk shooting and with converters will be be very versatile. I have heard good things from a friend of the 70-300 as well. Good luck with your choice.
      Last edited by TonyT; 24-02-2017, 21:08.
      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Hi Tony

I think the dawn/dusk shooting is the main reason for leaning towards the 70 - 200mm f2.8. This photo was a 6.30am shot with the 70 - 300mm L on the 5D. A little noisy at ISO 1600. I am not sure yet how the 7D would manage this at ISO 1600.

_MG_1340.jpg

I will keep any zoom lens I buy so won't hire. Of course, it would be great to have something longer too but I am trying to be a little more sensible with my finances than I have been with my Leica equipment. Of course, the most important things

Comment

you can always use software on the noise :) buying makes sense.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Had a 7d for 3 years, low light isn't its forte so to speak, but with a good lens and a tripod, it's surprisingly "ok" sold it to buy a 7dmk2, so that tells you how much I like the 7d! If and when I go full frame, I'll keep the 7d,as it's a great piece of tech, built like a tank, and the af is great.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Tony

The noise doesn't bother me too much. It looks more like grain on a fast film. I have now added the 100 - 400mm Mk I to my list. So many people do like that lens so if I can get a good one, which I think means getting one not too old, I may go for that. I have to do this in the next couple of weeks so my other half and I can practice for a month or so.

Comment

I have a mk1, great lens, will never part with it.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by peter29903 View Post
                  Hi Tony

The noise doesn't bother me too much. It looks more like grain on a fast film. I have now added the 100 - 400mm Mk I to my list. So many people do like that lens so if I can get a good one, which I think means getting one not too old, I may go for that. I have to do this in the next couple of weeks so my other half and I can practice for a month or so.
                  Well it was one of the longest serving L lenses before being replaced, that has to speak volumes, you do not replace a lens if it is selling well to both amateur and professional, and up to the job. If you're anywhere near Nottingham Derby area you could try mine. When I bought my lenses I took the camera in and tried them on the body then looked at the shots at home before buying.
                  Last edited by TonyT; 02-03-2017, 01:57.

Comment

I went on safari a couple of years ago with a 650D and 2 lenses- the 18-200 and the 100-400 Mk1. and trips out were with one or the other lens as I didn't want to change in the bush due to dust etc. I often wedged the big lens on the window ledge of the jeep for stability

I did have a compact in pocket for very close ups such as when a lion brushed past our jeep....

Best shots by far were with the 100-400- I was really pleased with the extra reach and of course the L quality and even on dawn shoots the light came up quickly and was bright when it arrived, as it were. So I'm sure the 7d combo with it would be a winner as it has more oomph than my entry level 650 did. Also as most of the stuff you'll be shooting doesn't move that quickly (hippos v BIF) you can get some solid focussing in.

In those days I shot jpeg and was, as I say, chuffed. Nowadays with raw and improved pp skills I'm sure I'd be even chuffter..........mind you I'm more self-critical!
                    Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

I decided to go for the 100 - 400mm MKI but not sure if I have a dud. I have posted the details in the lens section but here are some examples from the 100 - 400 and iincluding 2 from my previous 300mm F4 L.

Comment

Working...
                      X