Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stained Glass

Hi,

I want to take some pictures of church windows that are stained glass, backlit from the sun. Any suggestions on what I should be doing, what lens, aperture, shutter speed etc. Any suggestions someone might have will be great for this newbie.

Thanks

Ron
    Canon T5i with 18-135mm lens

Re: Stained Glass

I think this should be fairly straightforward and your camera light meter should get the exposure right.

I suggest keeping some significant area of wall surrounding the window in your shots as you can then correct the verticals and re-crop in post processing as you'll almost certainly be looking up to the windows creating vertical distortion.
    This could also be minimised by standing some distance away using a long focal length.

Hope that helps..
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Further to that I suggest you take a number of bracketed shots to see what works best and/or process as HDR. A tripod would be an advantage here but, if you have a really steady hand (or monopod), multiple images at high frame rate may do. As Brian says if you do want/need to adjust verticals or horizontals in post you will need spare space around the subject.

As for settings it is strongly dependent on whether you use a tripod: Tripod means you can get away with a slow speed so aperture should be around f8 (the usual 'sweet spot'), ISO as low as possible (high ISO can introduce noise) with the final part of the 'exposure triangle' being shutter speed which will invariable be on the slow side.

What lens - unless buying especially for the shoot - is what you have and what focal length you can get away with (if you have to be close then something wide may be needed but that will probably introduce distortions so I'd recommend as long a lens as you can get away with within reason).

Really that's all I can suggest without more information so come back and say what equipment you have and I'm sure others will give their advice too

Cheers,
      John

PS Nat here has some good stained glass images under his belt but... he uses a FF 6D which has a deserved reputation for low light quality. I'm not second guessing here (oh, alright I am) but I suspect you have a crop 'EF-S' body which wouldn't get away with the settings Nat succeeds with.

Comment

Yes, here are some of Nats, he may be the best to guide you, he takes lots of indoor church shots.

And welcome to the forums
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Further to that I suggest you take a number of bracketed shots to see what works best and/or process as HDR. A tripod would be an advantage here but, if you have a really steady hand (or monopod), multiple images at high frame rate may do. As Brian says if you do want/need to adjust verticals or horizontals in post you will need spare space around the subject.
          agree, but I suppose it really depends if you want to have the inside of the church exposed correctly, or if your only interest is the glass windows
          :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Surely you can do that in two shots, expose for indoors and then for the window, then merge them.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I would suggest that you invest in a monopod as it helps to keep the camera rock steady when taking low light pictures with low TV like 50-60 etc.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

I would suggest photographing on an overcast day as the sun will burn out highlights and make it very difficult to get a correct exposure unless you intend to merge multiple exposures. A monopod is ideal but a tripod will allow you to set it up and take the shot hands-free.
                http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Comment

Thanks for all the information.
                  My gear is a T5i with 18-135, I have a tripod and a 460 flash if needed.
                  I'll start with the suggested f8 and go rom there.
                  Canon T5i with 18-135mm lens

Comment

no flash you'll kill the light
                    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
                    X