8 bit 16 bit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8 bit 16 bit ?

Forgive my ignorance , quick question . Just started editing raw files in lightroom , and then opening them up in elements for further adjustments . When I tried to use layers in Elements , a window opened saying I needed to convert to 8bit before layers could be used , what difference does this make to the end image ?

Re: 8 bit 16 bit ?

none whats so ever

Comment

oh that`s good to hear Jeff thanks .

Comment

If you're interested, I found this reference - http://www.theartofretouching.com/bl...h#.WLbmnBLyjxs

It's worth a read even if you can't watch the video.
        EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Mathematically there is a huge difference but perceptually the difference is probably not significant.

Camera sensors typically generate 12 or 14 bit images. If you work with 16 bit files then you retain all the captured colour / brightness information. If you downscale to 8 bit (or shoot jpg) then you only record a maximum of 256 levels per colour per pixel. This compares with 65536 levels per colour per pixel for 16 bit.

Comment

i was speaking re-actual viewing .the majority of us only shoot to post to the net (personally i gave up on printing years ago ) so in effect the majority of us don't even need the mighty mega pixel beasts of cameras we are now using .it makes me laugh that nikon who now boast a few 36mp cameras in there line up ,were boasting about 4 years ago that 12mp was the maximum you need .and tbh they were probably correct

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
              .it makes me laugh that nikon who now boast a few 36mp cameras in there line up ,were boasting about 4 years ago that 12mp was the maximum you need .and tbh they were probably correct
              They said they had no plans to go full frame either...

Until recently the biggest sensor I has was 10Mp and unless i wanted to print super massive* or crop huge amounts of the image that was quite enough. Now I can go up to 12 & 16Mp but I'm not convinced either really produce 'better' quality or even that much extra resolution - though if I had pro lenses that may prove otherwise.

* that said a fellow club member had the same camera and he could produce A2 and A1 prints from the same sensor and they looked great.
              Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
                Forgive my ignorance , quick question . Just started editing raw files in lightroom , and then opening them up in elements for further adjustments . When I tried to use layers in Elements , a window opened saying I needed to convert to 8bit before layers could be used , what difference does this make to the end image ?
                It's said that 16 bit allows more tonal manipulation before significant degradation sets in but having used both 8 and 16bit I'm not sure the difference is that great. I do process 16 bit in Photoshop but save output files in 8bit format.

If you make any heavy adjustments in LR before exporting to PSE you should be fine. This assumes you are starting from CR2 files, over processing JPGs in LR will result in more of a quality drop than raw files as JPG is only 8 bit.
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

I was recently reading a book (about 10 years old) by a group of landscape professionals who had finally decided to go digital from medium format as they now had the "massive" 12 mp ,5D which could provide better prints than their medium format film cameras. I wonder what they use now? 5DS perhaps?

I've never made a print from digital, maybe never will.
                  EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Thanks for all the further comments , I have always printed from j.peg and not been unhappy so far .

Comment

Working...
                    X