• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Challenge 127: Bridge

Another bridge
    Attached Files

Comment

Any more for any more? Entries close tonight and it is a lovely day out there (at least it is where I am).
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

I had a killer of an idea and only needed the weather to improve. Now it has (lovely day here too) I'm stuck in bed with a case of the nasties so no entry from me this month, sorry

Cheers,
        John

Comment

One from me

High Bridge Lincoln
          Attached Files

Comment

Challenge 127: Bridge

I can see your image Lincs

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
            Peter

Feel free to browse my
            Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Firstly, thanks for all of the entries, with 12 of them it was another double digit set, which is good to see.
              So, to my thoughts on each:

John Liddle: A different sort of bridge
              I love quirkiness and I really hoped that people would come up with unusual interpretations of the theme, so this was a great start to the competition. Great set up, and the bits that need to be still are really sharp. My only criticism, and it’s not photographic, is that I can’t make proper sense of the movement without seeing the white ball. It looks to me like you’ve hit the red against the yellow and that’s just wrong!

H2OJunkie: Southern Solitude
              I like this gritty industrial landscape. Strong leading lines that lead you right into the image and then across it, with the lights and all the rust and textures forming points of interest all over the place. Very nice.

brianvickers: Bridge over River Dee at Bangor on Dee
              That must have been a seriously still day to keep those foreground branches sharp at 30 sec exposure. Brave, but it works really well as the glassiness of the water creates a real surprise. But is there perhaps a bit too much undergrowth? I think shaving a little off the bottom would allow the viewer in more.

Daisy M: Railway over Roadway over River bridges
              A great confluence of bridges. The composition works really well, with the river leading you through the image and I do love the texture in the brickwork. I would prefer if the sky hadn’t blown out, however, just to create a bit more interest up in that top corner.

Doglet: Nature’s Bridge
              Really well spotted and I really love the richness of the green banks on the island, which you have really accentuated. Also a really attractive ‘oily’ effect in the water. My only issue (and it is just a personal bug bear) is the purplish tinge in the sky, I’m presuming through CA from all those twigs.

TonyT: Boy on a Bridge
              Really simple images are often the most effective and striking. And this is one of them. Great detail in the textures of the brickwork and I love the juxtaposition of the horizontal lines of the steps, the arch and the wobbly horizontal lines of the wall. And then the boy creates a focus and spot of colour, and for him to be concentrating on something else and not looking at camera I think works really well. I also loved Asterix and Obelix.

ST-EOS: Two bridges
              Love the wordplay and even how the two bridges line up together. An iconic bridge and a leviathan of the seas. Lovely composition and you’ve controlled the very bright light really well.

Chris J: Abridged - a bridge too far
              You always come up with a twist or something different that makes me smile, so a bridge that isn’t there is perfect. I initially thought it would have worked better as a landscape format, but you are right, the vertical elements of the structure and the lamp post sit well together.

lunarbo: A time for Reflection
              Great composition, with the repeating reflected circles, against the straight lines of the handrail, together with gorgeous evening light. The model (Mr Bo?) is placed perfectly in the frame with great side lighting.

ctrollen: O’er water and tracks
              I always like to see something different and the mono conversion does that for what (if you’ll forgive me) isn’t the most interesting bridge in the world! The tree is perfectly placed, and the bridge walkway then disappearing off behind pulls it all together. I like the slightly gritty finish, but wonder if there is quite enough tonal range - perhaps greater contrast would have added something more.

neonlamp: Another bridge
              As I’ve said before, I was hoping for different types of bridge and this is what I wanted. Perfect depth of field and lovely warm and rich wood colouring. I am slightly distracted by the dust and bits n bobs visible, but that is a minor quibble.

Lincs1: High Bridge Lincoln
              Well, assuming you wanted to process it like an old sepia photograph, you have succeeded in spades, down to the slight softness, which is well in keeping. Even the clothing of the people don’t give the age away. I like the view through to the bridge beyond and the framing by the two walls either side, although perhaps a tad more could have been made of these.

And my winners, in reverse order are:
              3rd: neonlamp: Another Bridge
              2nd: lunarbo: A Time for Reflection
              1st: TonyT: Boy on a Bridge

So well done to Tony for your first ever Challenge win; over to you for the next one. And for everyone else who entered, sorry you didn’t win it this time, but please keep entering, it would be great to maintain the momentum of a vibrant competition in the forum.
              Canon EOS 7D
              EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
              Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
              flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Congratulations Tony, Bo and Neonlamp. Thanks to Alex for running and providing feedback on this Challenge, well done to everyone who entered this time round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Congratulations to everyone for some really good shots and especially to Tony for his well-deserved winner.

Thanks to Alex for setting a good challenge and the helpful comments & critique.

This was the first time I had had a go with HDR and monochrome and actually had several shots that I could have used. Having picked that particular one, I may post one or two of the others to see what people think.
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Enjoyed all of these shots, well done Tony it feels so good to win your first one doesn't it? Thanks Alex, you certainly got everyone thinking. Dave

Comment

Well done Tony and all others.
                      Ray

Comment

Well done Tony T on a great image and a worthy first win for you.

Many thanks to Alex for setting and judging with your constructive critique.

Yes, my model was indeed Mr. Bo.......He has lurked in at least 3 of these challenges and will be demanding fees soon!
                        Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Congratulations to the winners...I thought Boy on a bridge stood out as something special...not taking anything away from the other winners and entrants....looking forward to the next challenge...!
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Some very different subjects lurking here... well done one and all.

Comment

A great set so congratulations to all but especially Tony who was a very worthy winner

Cheers,
                              John

Comment

As Mr Grace was wont to say "You've all done very well..."

Particular thanks to Alex for setting and judging and congratulations to Tony T - a worthy winning image

Originally posted by AlexR! View Post
                                ......without seeing the white ball. It looks to me like you’ve hit the red against the yellow and that’s just wrong
                                I take the point - but it is actually the white not the yellow! - a fairly old set of balls which we acquired with the table when we bought the house and the white has not stood the test of time very well and has yellowed considerably.
                                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                                X