Rant...beginner, advanced wannabe pro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rant...beginner, advanced wannabe pro

It annoys me that so much of the industry categories customers as a device to make them want to buy something more by assuming that we all wannabe pros. I'm an amateur .....thats someone who does it for other reasons than earning a crust. If I wanted to be a full time pro I'd go for it. The industry can't seem to separate the level of someones ability as a photographer from their chosen profession. I've looked at going Pro and maybe I will sometime, but i'm happy doing what I do professionally and it earns at least as well as the average pro photographer.....so no I'm not a wannabe pro....my capabilities are adequate and probably equal to some professionals....I've done Weddings and commercial commissions.
    Examples of where I'm coming from are that Ive just bought a 'beginner' camera...because its small and its what I want, not because I need everything automated or that Im a beginner. Amateur photographer magazine once critiqued an image of a car in studio lighting where the tog had chosen to adjust the colour...AP though they should point out that Mr Alph Romeo would not be happy with that...well actually Mr A-R has no opinion...they didn't pay for the shoot it was an amateurs work, not bound by any client.....but it didn't stop AP assuming the goal was to do a pros job....where in fact it was an amateurs artistic effort to produce an attractive image.
    I just bought my Ticket for the show at the NEC...their questionnaire wanted to know if I was a beginner, advanced, turning pro or Pro....how dare they suggest that I'm on some sort of customer journey from beginner to full time pro! I don't want to be a b***** pro!
    Just my opinion but I think its disrespectful to customers to make such assumptions....what I buy does not define me!
    At least I am not Nikon!
    There said it.....
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: Rant...beginner, advanced wannabe pro

Unfortunately it is the way business is going, I preregistered for one of the new old Nokia phones as it would be ideal for work, they wanted my age group............ none of their business, same with sex, when I fill them out I normally click the oldest possible age I can find, somewhere around 1911 or last year and if it allows, under sex I put yes please........ the worst these days are the likes of Halfords or Curries when you pay cash and they ask for your address etc, I politely tell them I am purchasing from them, and if they want my details I tell them to mind their own business, please hand back my cash and I will go elsewhere. Claims of warranty etc falls on deaf ears as I point out all I require is the receipt.
    Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Wow Brian sounds like you are very grumpy on this matter!

Although I agree that excessive requests of personal data are intrusive and unnecessary- my own grouse being my email address which is so often "required" - ha ha!- just so that I can be sent promotional and how-did-I do?- rubbish, I wonder if on this occasion there is a simpler explanation.

If the promoters have an idea of what percentage of the customers are beginners/ medium standard/ pros then they and the prospective exhibitors can gear their presentations/products accordingly for maximum impact .

Hope you enjoy the NEC show!
      Canon EOS R5, R6 plus the usual suspects ......

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bo_fo_to

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
        I just bought my Ticket for the show at the NEC...their questionnaire wanted to know if I was a beginner, advanced, turning pro or Pro....how dare they suggest that I'm on some sort of customer journey from beginner to full time pro! I don't want to be a b***** pro!
        Just my opinion but I think its disrespectful to customers to make such assumptions....what I buy does not define me!
        At least I am not Nikon!
        There said it.....
        Sorry but I don't see how they are making an assumption. The question isn't particularly unreasonable since the organizers want a show that is successful which generally means attracting their target audience - not much point in putting on a show aimed at professionals if it's only the amateurs who turn up and vice versa. Better to know and plan in advance surely...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Bo was right ...I was just in grumpy mode!

....and why do i have to pay for a ticket as an 'amateur' ill probably spend more than many pros in my lifetime....and they get in free!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

does the money of a pro buy more than an amateur, so annoying
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

In a way yes, a pile of Pro togs white lenses seen on the sidelines at F1, Wimbledon, Football, etc etc etc must be worth their weight in gold advertising wise, the average punter seeing them will see it as if the pro's are using them, they must be good.

In a way it is like F1, F1 drives car technology that filters down to what the average driver buys... Pro users drive what the likes of Canon produce, that then filters down to the amateur buyer, they're are not many amateurs that will buy the likes of the 200-400 1.4x, that lens in a way was aimed at the Pro, but that and the technology will eventually filter down the range to the "prosumer" range, though to be honest the line is now very Woolley between pro and amateur cameras.. So knowing how many pros are attending a show assists in deciding the interest levels and allows industry to tailor there product line up for the shows.
              Last edited by TonyT; 13-03-2017, 23:41.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
              X