X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thurlestone Sands Footbridge

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
    Thanks folks, I appreciate all the kind comments

But yes it's a compact. I recently described my current 'travelling' G10 as 'ancient' but this image was shot on a positively prehistoric 4mp G2 way back in 2004. Canon got something right when they made the Powershot range (but sadly, being non-EOS, their output is deemed unworthy to stand shoulder to shoulder with their more esteemed members of the Canon family ).

Cheers,
    John
    I was so impressed by your photo John , I googled that camera to find out more about it . Does make you think sometimes why we splash out on all that expensive gear .

Comment

Originally posted by Fallow View Post
      I was so impressed by your photo John , I googled that camera to find out more about it . Does make you think sometimes why we splash out on all that expensive gear .
      Quite right and as Brian's recent 100d vs 5D3 comparison show modest cameras are capable of decent results especially if the glass is good and the lens on the G2 was very good. Yes, I think the main difference between them are the bells and whistles and focussing and processing of the more expensive models that are omitted from or limited on those of a lower price.

That said the G2 was far from cheap at the time as, fourteen years ago, I paid £600 for it. IIRC the G3 had just been released and the good people at Paignton LCE (now closed ) knocked fifty quid off the normal price because it was an "old model". I only replaced it (with my current G10) when No. 2 grandson knocked it out of my hand breaking it.

Now I feel the need for another small camera and can't decide between another Powershot (but an older one with an OVF) or a 100D. I don't see myself going mirrorless.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Your post has given me similar thoughts , I would be interested to see what you go with .

Comment

Excellent, it really draws you into the image... It would have been a good entry for this months competition, which I still think compacts should be able to enter, if I ever win one they will be able too.
          Last edited by TonyT; 11-03-2017, 00:40.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thanks Tony

Cheers,
            John

Comment

Excellent shot John, love it.

Weirdly to my eyes it looks softer on Flickr than it does here Anyone else see that or is it just me?
              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Thanks Alan

Not sure about where it's softest but it was a jpeg taken on a 4mp G2 so was never going to be particularly sharp and that before Silver Efex took it's toll.

Cheers,
                John

Comment

Working...
                X