micro-b usb3 cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

micro-b usb3 cables

On the 1Dx2 and 5DSr there is a usb 3 micro-b connection to allow you to output to a laptop/pc. I have used this successfully to transfer files to a laptop. I am curious to know and find out if you can connect the camera directly to a usb drive such as a WD passport. It would need a micro-b usb3 to micro-b usb3 cable or if transferring to a memory stick an 'on the go' cable.

has anyone tried to do this?

the reason I want to do this is that I normally travel around by motorbike and dumping the laptop reduces weight carried

Andre

Re: micro-b usb3 cables

I doubt if this would work without either a Magic Lantern or Canon firmware upgrade. Unless things have changed since the 5D, then the camera does not actually send the images to the computer. Instead, the computer pulls the images from the camera. The camera presents itself as a USB storage device. Thus, even if you connect a disk directly to the camera, it won't have the option to manage the drive and write files to it.

I used to use a Toshiba NB200 to drive an external drive and just copy images from the camera card.

Comment

Thanks for this. After some thought I came to a similar conclusion, its a shame really so its lugging the laptop around again

Andre

Comment

We drill deep into the video functionality offered by Canon’s 4K-enabled EOS-1D X Mark II

you can with video.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
        X