100D v 5DIII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

100D v 5DIII

Can you tell which shot is with which camera....you can see if you're right on flickr..
    Using the 24-105 f4L IS on the 5DIII and 55-250 IS STM on the 100D....both ISO100, f/5 Aperture priority..lifted the exposure of the 5DIII in post processing because I'd had the 100D set to overexpose by 2/3 stop, both are a similar size crop of about 1/12 of the overall frame.... otherwise no alteration.

_MG_9986.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_MG_0153.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Re: 100D v 5DIII

looking on here its very difficult to tell, although respect for you getting 2 photos almost identical

I would say a better test / comparison would be when pushing cameras towards limits - so try 10k ISO each then see how they stack up side by side
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I guessed correctly* but the difference is so slight it does make one ponder the need to spend IRO eight times as much for the FF combo. I'd be interested in a repeat with the same lens to see if the glass is the governing factor as I suspect it may well be.

* I'll explain my reasoning after others have had their go

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Originally posted by ColytonJohn View Post
        I guessed correctly*
        * I'll explain my reasoning after others have had their go
        Cheers,
        John
        No John, you didn't guess, you reasoned it out as I did - I shall also hold my peace on how (at least for now)
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Good idea Ian....I think we both know what the result would be....Ill give 10K ISO a go out of interest.
          To get the photos the same i had to keep saying 'STAY!' very sternly and repeatably while I changed cameras that were already set up......normally he bolts away as soon as he hears the shutter.

looking forward to that John...ref same glass. I had the 24-105 at about 100mm and the 55-200 at about 65mm to achieve the same framing from the same position....so you could say the L lens was at its worst end and the 55-200 at its best end of zoom.
          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Very interesting comparison, Brian. I guessed wrong.
            I guess the lesson to learn, as Ian implies, is that all Canon EOS cameras and lenses do a really nice job in ideal conditions. What you are paying for as you go up the range is the ability to get such good images in more challenging conditions, whether these are because of the light, movement of the subject or environmental conditions.
            Canon EOS 7D
            EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
            Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
            flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

The first picture looks like one from the 5Diii- without looking at flickr.

P.S. Having looked at flickr now I am correct. My decision was based on the slight sharper definition of the first picture.
              Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                I had the 24-105 at about 100mm and the 55-200 at about 65mm to achieve the same framing from the same position....
                You have given it away!
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

ISO12800....100D as at its max now.
                  _MG_9993.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_MG_9994.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                  Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

An interesting comparison though....I think the IS is working better on the newer lens.
                    I agree Alex.....more functionality and tank like build quality.
                    Ill try some continuous focussing tests shortly...to see how many keepers each produces.

cleaned up....extreme
                    _MG_9993.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

_MG_9994.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

I'm going to leave these on for a day or so for further comment then take them off because they look awful on my flick stream....and someone has already liked one which is a bit worrying....
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

With the initial images I guessed correctly but both are excellent with very little difference.
                        Just goes to show that any camera and lens can take a great image in the right hands, well done Brian

Stephen
                        Canon EOS R6 Mark II, Canon RF 100-500mm f4.5-7.1L, Canon RF 24-105mm f4L
                        Please note: I do not have or use Photoshop

flickr

Comment

Cheers Stephen...so true.
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Most things have been said already.

I note that they are not taken at the same focal length, one at 70 mm, one at 105mm. I know that people will disagree with me as so many love the 24 - 105 mm but in tests it doesn't come out that well. It would be interesting to compare a prime lens, I'm sure my Sigma 105 mm macro would give better resolution at 105 mm as would any of the 70 - 200 Canon models.

High ISO seems to be a popular selling point for newer and more expensive cameras, but I still stick to the lowest possible. There's much discussion about noise levels at high ISO, but very little mention of the loss of resolution and dynamic range, both of which are considerable. I wonder if some people even know about this.

On my 100D bodies I set max ISO (if auto) to 800. In "normal" conditions that's invariably high enough. On bright days I stick to ISO 100, just like film days. It gives the best resolution, so why not use it if possible? I also set F8 on the IS STM lenses which gives the best overall resolution edge to edge. Sometimes I think using optimal settings is more important than which camera and lens combination is used.

Still, there's nothing to compare to the feel of a big smooth black metal bodied lens with a beautiful large piece of glass at the front. .
                            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

note that they are not taken at the same focal length
                              Have just realised myself that they are more or less equivalent allowing for the sensor size
                              EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Working...
                              X