Canon 100 - 400mm L MKI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Canon 100 - 400mm L MKI

same lens, 5D3 handheld, no flash....is this better or worse than you are experiencing ....these are offered as a reference
    at 400mm 1/100th
    _MG_0052-2.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr

at 100mm at 1/100th
    _MG_0051-2.jpg by brianvickers, on Flickr
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

You mention using a tripod ,with these first generation I.s lenses the I.s should be OFF when on a tripod or it will work against you .i know it's frustrating testing a lens or camera when the light is rubbish as of late .but I,m still thinking it's user error ??

Comment

It has 2 modes, mode 2 is for panning on a tripod, I switch it completely off for stationary shots

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
          same lens, 5D3 handheld, no flash....is this better or worse than you are experiencing ....these are offered as a reference
          at 400mm 1/100th

at 100mm at 1/100th
          Thanks Brian

There is no comparison with your images. What you are getting is what I would expect.

I am returning the lens as it is clearly faulty. The images at f4.5 are unacceptable - this is more than just being soft. I have compared with other lenses at the same focal length and aperture and there is no comparison. A pity but these things happen.

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
            at 400mm 1/100th

at 100mm at 1/100th
            Thanks Brian

There is no comparison with your images. What you are getting is what I would expect from thsi pens. they look really acceptable.

I am returning the lens as it is clearly faulty. The images at f4.5 are unacceptable - this is more than just being soft. I have compared with other lenses at the same focal length and aperture and there is no comparison. A pity but these things happen.

Comment

You may already have taken up the issue with your lens, but a couple of questions - did you use manual focus in live view with 10x mag and compare that with AF? Second- when using AF did you have a near (or far) AF point selected rather than one in the centre?

Having used a 100-400I for several years, I concur that its IS is really only 2 stops at best. I would also like to jump into the "crop factor" debate. On my 600D I found that I needed faster speeds in general. It is quite true that the crop factor does not change the focal length of the lens (it cannot possibly) BUT if you have an 18 megapixel APS-C compared to an 18 Megapixel full frame, the APS_C pixels are smaller, and therefore have higher resolution (in principle) than the full frame. Depending on whether the lens quality is able to reproduce pixel resolution images, the crop sensor body really can "magnify" the lens image. Which means it really can be harder to (a) focus more accurately and (b) stabilise the image. However, recently introduced full frame bodies at 30 Megapixels and APS-C at 24 have somewhat changed this result.

Comment

Working...
              X