Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Landscape and long exposures question

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
    thanks antoeknee...I assume you need this because a 10 second delay is not long enough...or you need to trip the shutter at an exact moment.
    Err, no. The timer has option to have a delay once mirror flips up, you can set your own time for this (I use 3 seconds). Then a timed exposure, again you can set to what you want.

Once you press the timer button the mirror flips up, the delay counts down then the exposure starts and timer counts down till complete.

Great little bits of kit. I managed to drop mine in the sea when doing some shots, display became a bit difficult to see. SO have recently bought another as they are quite cheap. Can do time lapse work too.
    Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

If you use liveview, the mirror locks up when you enter liveview mode & you can even see the image enough to check composition with a 10 stopper (although can't use liveview to obtain a correct exposure). I use bulb mode with a wired remote release or a wireless one. I keep on iso 100 or 200 at the most. Make sure everything on the tripod is tightened up too.

Last week I tried some shots with the Lee Super Stopper - 15 stops!! Even on a sunny day at iso 100 & F16 I was getting up to 8 minute exposures & a few hot pixels ...
      Les

Les Cornwell Photography

EOS R, EOS 6D MKII, EOS 100D, EOS50e, RF24-104 F4L, EF17-40 F4L, EF24-70 F2.8L II, EF70-200 F4L IS, EF100-400 F5.6L MKII, EF100 F2.8L IS, EF-S 18-135 STM, EF-S 18-55, GP-E2, 270EX, 430EX II, Kase & Lee filters.

Comment

Don't forget to set the ISO or the camera will set a high one to try and counteract the dark filter.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Brilliant ...thanks antoekneee...I'll order a timer as suggested.
          Thanks Tony and Les....15 stops...wow!
          Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Hi everyone

Just jumped in here, hope my experiences/observations may provoke a thought …

When taking multiple exposures of the same scene (stopping down to control depth of field) I noticed more detail in the mid-tones of the longer exposure images.

In the good old days I'd have put this kind of thing down to the wider latitude of slower films, but maybe there's also something else comes into play with digital?

Just a thought.

Regards.
            Steve.

PS: It there's blinding obvious reason for this then please be gentle with me, I'm a silver-shutter-releaser!

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
              For all my LE shots I don't bother with mirror lock up. I use an external time plugged in to the camera with a 2 secs delay after I have activated the timer, this should remove any chance of wobble.......well it works for me !
              I do the same, but then he taught me so I guess I would !!
              Patrick

Find me on Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/136664727@N04/

Comment

the long exposure noise reduction is only a factor if you shoot JPEG.
                That's only partly true. If you open your RAW files in DPP, then the in camera corrections are also applied. See the Oct - Dec 2016 edition of the magazine, p. 61.
                EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
                  That's only partly true. If you open your RAW files in DPP, then the in camera corrections are also applied. See the Oct - Dec 2016 edition of the magazine, p. 61.
                  I never use DPP, but if I did I would still prefer to process at home rather than on location
                  :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Landscape and long exposures question

Brian here's my thoughts on this, my personal approach to Landscape photography is this :-

Camera set to manual, shooting Raw, remote shutter release. Next steps

1. Composition
                    2. Filtration (decided on scene requirements)
                    3. Focus using Live View (magnified)
                    4. Exposure.
                    5. Take a test image, check histogram adjust if necessary, using graduated filters or in camera adjustments. For example a grad for the sky and adjust exposure for the foreground.

For long exposures once you have set your required exposure using the above steps. Make note the exposure time for the base image then adjust this for the "X" stop filter (where X is your filter of choice for the LE )
                    For a long exposure timing I use the Lee big stopper app on my phone it has three choices 6, 10 and 15 stops. You spin the left wheel (base exposure) the right wheel shows the exposure time in seconds. E.g base = 1/30, LE exposure =30 second using a ten stop filter or sixteen minutes! using a Lee 15 stop.
                    Remember to cover the camera eyepiece during the long exposure.
                    Repeat step 5 and adjust as necessary.

N.B. Other LE Apps are available, my choice matches my filters.
                    Last edited by ST-EOS; 14-03-2017, 08:52.
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my
                    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks Peter thats a great help...looks like a good logical process.....I was doing the exposure by a rough estimate of multiplying the stops up...i.e 60th without filter and then doubling that time ten times for a 10 stop ND [30th, 15th, 8th, 1/4, 1/2, 1sec, 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s (have to use all my fingers for that one).
                      I've ordered a plug in timer as suggested above--due tomorrow so Ill be able to use that instead of the self timer and get greater than 30 sec exposures.
                      I guess mirror lock up has less impact the longer the exposure.
                      I have the SRB ND1000 filter and one of their grads...its cheap but rated really well in a review I once read.
                      And thanks for reminding about covering the eye piece...though I thought that had more impact on auto exposure rather than the image recording
                      Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

It's worth doing a few test shots before using the 10 stopper seriously. I have a Lee 10 stopper but find it's nearer to 11 stops.

John

Comment

Thanks John,

yes I found exactly the same last week....had to go to the full 30 seconds where it calculated as 16 seconds.
                          Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                            Thanks John,

yes I found exactly the same last week....had to go to the full 30 seconds where it calculated as 16 seconds.
                            yep found the same as well
                            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Canons manual external shutter release is also very good, slight press to set focus etc then press to shoot. Use it for my panos with the mirror locked up in live mode..

Another thing to remember is to close the rear shutter on the eyepiece to stop and stray light getting in and messing up the exposure.
                              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Working...
                              X