Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does Flickr give (apparently) better quality images than direct uploads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does Flickr give (apparently) better quality images than direct uploads?

Having been on this forum for over a year now, I've read many times that uploading from Flickr or similar gives better images on this site than direct uploads. But I don't think I've ever seen anybody say WHY this is so. Does anybody know? There must be some technical reason and it's the sort of things that bugs me if I don't know the answer.
    EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Re: Why does Flickr give (apparently) better quality images than direct uploads?

It's bandwidth limitations on the server Richard , it does unfortunately vary from site to site the two best sites for actually displaying your pics as direct uploads as far as I,m aware are Juza which is a good Italian one and very good for doing lens and camera body matches to .and a American one P.O.T.N or photography on the net .
    The downside being that the quality of stuff posted on those sites make our pics look like box brownie attempts

Comment

Re: Why does Flickr give (apparently) better quality images than direct uploads?

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
      Having been on this forum for over a year now, I've read many times that uploading from Flickr or similar gives better images on this site than direct uploads. But I don't think I've ever seen anybody say WHY this is so. Does anybody know? There must be some technical reason and it's the sort of things that bugs me if I don't know the answer.
      The forum software resizes images above a certain size to reduce the space taken by the image on our server. If we allowed full-size images to be saved to the server we would soon go over our current limits and have to pay more. Since this is a free to use (but not free to run) service, you are helping to keep our costs down by linking to your images on other servers.
      Robert
      robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Does a direct posted image that was resized to sensible dimensions (say 800 pixels wide) before posting take up more space on the server than one which was linked from Flickr?

My thoughts are that everything I have read about preparing images says that one should always leave sharpening until the very end and that for viewing on the internet, the image should be resized to the required dimensions (say 800 pixels wide) before the final sharpening. I was therefore wondering if the apparently lower image quality of direct pasted images is because people complete all of the processing, including sharpening, and then either they resize the image before posting or it is resized automatically by the site, with consequent loss of quality. It just seems logical to me that if I have an image of particular dimensions that looks OK on my screen, then the same image at the same dimensions should also look OK on the site.
        EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
          Does a direct posted image that was resized to sensible dimensions (say 800 pixels wide) before posting take up more space on the server than one which was linked from Flickr?
          An image linked to Flickr does not, as far as I know, take up any space on the forum server.
          Robert
          robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Scott View Post
            The forum software resizes images above a certain size to reduce the space taken by the image on our server. If we allowed full-size images to be saved to the server we would soon go over our current limits and have to pay more.
            Presumably then if we directly upload an image that is smaller than this size it wouldn't get downgraded so much - so what is the certain size?
            Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
              Presumably then if we directly upload an image that is smaller than this size it wouldn't get downgraded so much - so what is the certain size?
              800 x 800 pixels.

But if you are able to link to an external site such as Flickr, please do so.
              Robert
              robert@eos-magazine.com

Comment

900 pixels on the longest side is the dimensions of all my images for posting to flickr and the internet generally. I tried an experiment once in posting the same image from flickr and a direct upload and the difference was very noticeable.

Whenever I edit someones shot on here I always repost direct as obviously I dont want someone elses shots on my flickr photostream and to get it looking passable for viewing I usually have to really oversharpen in, halos and all, so that when viewed on the forum it looks passable

Stan
                Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                flickr

Comment

I still don't really get why an image already resized and posted direct here should look worse than a link from Flickr, but it obviously does and so "theirs not to reason why, theirs but to do ...........".

The next question is if it's possible to have a photo on Flickr, which can't actually be viewed by all and sundry there, but can be linked to produce an image on this site. I write as someone who has no real interest in having my images up on Flickr, but would like from time to time to have them viewed here, mainly for technical comments/advice rather than like/dislike.

Comment

When you upload a picture to Flickr, on the left hand side are a number of options , one of which allows you to choose who can view the shot - owner settings , click on visible to everyone and you get a further drop down box with the option' only you'
                    Select that option and only you can view it on Flickr but you can still link it to the forum
                    Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
                    flickr

Comment

Thanks Stan, will do that - when I get some images worth looking at

Comment

Originally posted by Stan View Post
                        Select that option and only you can view it on Flickr but you can still link it to the forum
                        Didn't know that, thanks Stan.

John

Comment

I find that even some of my images posted on facebook is poor in respect of IQ. No comparision with the images on flickr.
                          Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

my standard upload size to flickr is 1024 pixels on the longest edge (unless i want to post a letter box format for impact etc) if its a square cropped photo its 950 pixels ,when downloading to here or elsewhere i also download at 1024 pixels or original size option .

i find that this really gives the best overall quality for viewing both on there and on here

Comment

Working...
                            X