Ball head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ball head

Hi I'm looking for a new ball head I've looked at era,gitzo,pig iron and arcatech but the only one I like at the moment is the arcatech gp ball head but the price puts me off a bit at the moment I use a manfrotto with the largest lens being a 70-300 .any suggestions.Thanks Simon

Re: Ball head

I've had/got a number of Manfrotto heads, my first being the Grip Ball head, which seemed like a really nice idea until I started using it and realised that it's almost impossible to accurately lock off in any given position as it always settles a little below where you intend DO NOT BUY THIS HEAD. I then went for an X-Pro 3 way head an excellent head, however I'm now using the XPRO Geared Three Way head which I think is even better as you can quickly move it to the rough position you want it and then dial it into the precise position very quickly and easily.
    Flickr
    Web Page
    Instagram
    Facebook

Comment

As an addendum my wife was using a Midi Ball head, initially because she liked the idea of a one touch adjustment, but like the Grip ball found it difficult to precisely lock off and is now using my old X-Pro 3 way head, and in the word of Maxwell Smart; "Loving it" :D
      Flickr
      Web Page
      Instagram
      Facebook

Comment

I have a Kirk one which is American and along the lines of Really Right Stuff who are the Rolls Royce of Ball heads BTW. The other is the Arca Swiss's monoball, you will never exceed the weight carrying capability of that, your tripod legs will snap like matchsticks before you do. (rated to carry 122 lbs (55.3 kg) off-axis)

The trouble I find with them though is they are a pig to keep level etc when shooting, hence I now tend to use use a Feisol panoramic head with a monopod head on that instead, this is what I mean. you do however lose the ability to you have with ball to tilt from side to side.

however Really Right Stuff are not cheap, but there are other makes out there. It allows panning along with up / down motion and it won't fall over like a ball etc... but that it just my personal preference. I use a Canon 500mm on that set up I showed you on a monopod or my tripod. You would also need an Arca Swiss plate as it is different from the Manfrotto.
        Last edited by TonyT; 15-03-2017, 10:11.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan Teatime View Post
          I've had/got a number of Manfrotto heads, my first being the Grip Ball head, which seemed like a really nice idea until I started using it and realised that it's almost impossible to accurately lock off in any given position as it always settles a little below where you intend DO NOT BUY THIS HEAD.
          I don't think you can say don't buy based on the fact that you don't get on with it. I have one of those and while I agree that it doesn't have the absolute precision of something like a geared head it is ideal in situations where quick re-positioning is useful. I have used mine for sports pictures and the ability to re-position rapidly is ideal.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Originally posted by El Sid View Post
            I don't think you can say don't buy based on the fact that you don't get on with it. I have one of those and while I agree that it doesn't have the absolute precision of something like a geared head it is ideal in situations where quick re-positioning is useful. I have used mine for sports pictures and the ability to re-position rapidly is ideal.
            Fair enough. I was initially attracted to that head because of the promise of rapid one touch adjustment, however as I mentioned previously once I started using it I found it to be far less than ideal. The geared head I am currently using, is I believe the best of both worlds, it allows rapid gross adjustments combined with the ability to make precision adjustments.
            Flickr
            Web Page
            Instagram
            Facebook

Comment

Thanks for your response to my query I've got it narrowed down to 2 ball heads the arcatech gp and the arca Swiss p0, I've been going round the nec today just looking at ball heads.

Comment

The problem of "creep" in ball heads is linked to how well you balance the lens body combination over the ball. I realise that panorama work may prevent you achieving a proper balance because you need to rotate about the entry pupil, but general work should not be a problem. If you have an arca type mounting plate as part of the set up you can move the camera forwards and backwards to get it balanced.
                John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Working...
                X