Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28-135mm lens upgrade

Hi all,

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on this lens : Canon EF 28-135mm f3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens.

I am looking to put it on my 400D as a replacement to the kit 18-55 and was wondering if it was a good general walk about lens for travel and day to day photography of markets, people etc.

Any other suggestions would be great.

Regards,

Gary

Re: 28-135mm lens upgrade

Have you thought of the 55-250IS as an extra lens? You could use either as a walkabout depending on what pictures you want to take.

Personally I find the 24-105 sufficient for most of my walkabout pictures - but they are a lot more expensive
    ef-r

Comment

I'd love the 24-105 but budget at the moment is a bit tight! Seems to be a very popular lens. So looks like for the time being need a good standard lens, the closest I could find was the 28-135.

Someone said may loose the wide angle on the 400d.

Comment

I had a 28-135 on my 10D for a long time. I really liked it, and it was only when I went for 5D and then went on the infamous "L-series" upgrade binge and traded it for a 24-105.
        IMO, for the money, they take some beating.
        “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
        "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
        "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
        "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

Cheers, think I'm going to go for it, did you have any issue with loose barrel? Seems to keep coming up and putting me off!

Comment

Hi Gary;

I had a 28-135 many moons ago, and was never really happy with it. Imaging was 'soft' at best I always felt. It's an OK 'budget' lens but it's quite old now (c. 1998 design???) and won't stack-up against current technology IMO... Here's a good review of the lens... As you'll see it scores 'average'...

As for 'wide-angle', your crop-sensor'd body will generate the equivalent 'field-of-view' for a 28-135 of 45-216; so, no, you won't get a true 'wide-angle' image from that lens.

I think this might be another 'save-up' job! If you want better reach now, as Brian suggests, I'd be tempted to seriously consider the 55-200IS as complimentary to your kit lens...
            Last edited by Canon-Fodder!; 28-09-2010, 11:34.
            I actively encourage constructive comment & critique of any image I post!
            Feel free to edit & re-post as you see fit - but please - tell me what you have done to 'improve' the shot!

Comment

Originally posted by grjones View Post
              Cheers, think I'm going to go for it, did you have any issue with loose barrel? Seems to keep coming up and putting me off!
              I din't have any issues with a loose barrel. Also, the shots I took with it were (as far as I could tell) sharp. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't anywhere near as good as the 24-105 I replaced it with, but then it's a load cheaper.
              After I'd bought it, I read loads of comments that said it was soft, and mentioned barrel-slip. I reckon I must've got a good one!
              I can't comment on the 55-200IS, as I've never owned one, but there's loads of positive comments on here about it, so I reckon you could do a lot worse.
              “If you're gonna be a maniac, pyro's not a good maniac.” Larry David
              "Go ahead and play The Blues if it'll make you happy". Homer J. Simpson
              "War, children, it's just a shot away... Love, sister, it's just a kiss away". Mick Jagger & Keith Richards
              "I was in the band, ok. The girls were pretty interested, you know, with the guitar. They liked that.” Larry David

EOS 5D, 24-105L, 430EXII, G11

Comment

The 55mm-250mm IS lens is a very good lens. I have one and quite happy with it. It has also received very good comments from other forum members as well
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

The lens can`t be too bad, otherwise Canon would not sell it!.................................just my 2p`s worth
                  Regards Eddie.
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Guys after much thinking about this and driving my mrs mad, I've decided I'm going for the EF-S 17-85 IS USM totally replacing the kit lens.
                    I've been to the shop had a play with all the different ranges and I think for me moment, until I upgrade my camera this will be a good overall lens. As it had been split from a kit got it at a good price too.
                    My next course of action, and my next buys will be the L series.from what I've seen on the net and eBay lenses pretty much hold there value so won't do too badly selling it on.
                    Thanks for all your input. You have certainly helped massively!

Gary

Comment

I find that the members comments are INVALUABLE in making real VFM decisions. Long may it continue.
                      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Working...
                      X