Waitangi Day 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waitangi Day 2017

Whilst we were in New Zealand we stayed in Paihia our stay coincided with Waitangi Day. Waitangi Day is a public holiday held on 6 February every year to commemorate the signing of New Zealand's founding document "The Treaty of Waitangi" in 1840. The Treaty was between Queen Victoria (actually her representatives) and the Māori. However there is still ongoing discussions regarding the content and meaning of some of the Treaty sections.

These images are of the Waitangi Day happenings as I witnessed them, sadly what you cannot get from the images of the Waka's (war canoes) is the sound of the rhythmic chanting/drumming when they are moving plus the general sense of excitement given off by the audience.

#1 I believe that the larger of the two Waka in this image is Ngatokimatawhaorua, one of the largest Māori waka. It normally resides in it's display area within the Treaty Ground.

#2 The Waka fleet preparing to run around to the Treaty ground to take part in the Waitianga Day celebrations.

#3 Some of the Waka crew who were getting ready for the Waka to be brought ashore, the rails that can be seen are the track that is used to get the Waka from the beach to the shelter.

#4 Impressive Art/Ink work.

#5 After visiting the Treaty Ground we decided to go across to Russell (historically it was known as the Hell Hole of the Pacific) This is one of the vessels we spotted whilst we were en-route from Paihia to Russell on the slow ferry.

#6 This looked exciting and great weather to try it out, I didn't try it . I deliberately left the tow line visible in the image.

Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Re: Waitangi Day 2017

Nice shots Peter. Those boys are big! No wonder they need big canoes.

Looks like you had a nice holiday.

Stan(II)
    Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
    Lightroom; Photoshop

Comment

Very nice Peter. Very colourful. Thanks for sharing.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

nice work Peter, love the boat shot but I'm a sucker for a tail ship,
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Great shots and a great holiday for you, nice work Peter

Comment

The one with the ship is beautiful. I love it.

Comment

Very nice set Peter.

Tom

Comment

Nice and interesting set, like the Tall ship and the Parachute shot, greta colour. The Maori's are definitely not starving are they

Regards Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Sophia Scott View Post
                  The one with the ship is beautiful. I love it.
                  Thanks Sophia, glad you liked the ship.

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
                  Very nice set Peter.

Tom
                  Thanks Tom

Originally posted by pelliott1954 View Post
                  Nice and interesting set, like the Tall ship and the Parachute shot, greta colour. The Maori's are definitely not starving are they

Regards Paul
                  Cheers Paul the light in NZ helps with images with water and sky and a decent focal point.
                  Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                    nice work Peter, love the boat shot but I'm a sucker for a tail ship,
                    Thanks Ian, it seems that the sailing ship is the one that people appreciate.

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
                    Very nice Peter. Very colourful. Thanks for sharing.
                    Thanks Nat

Originally posted by StanEastwood View Post
                    Nice shots Peter. Those boys are big! No wonder they need big canoes.

Looks like you had a nice holiday.

Stan(II)
                    Cheers Stan (11) they weren't all that size, I think the big guys were the helmsmen/chiefs. Some of the paddlers were small in comparison.
                    Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Originally posted by Dave61 View Post
                      Great shots and a great holiday for you, nice work Peter
                      Thanks Dave, it was a great six weeks holiday, as long as you ignore the length of the flights.

Our flights were 7.5 hrs Manchester to Dubai (2 hrs in Dubai transit) 14 hrs Dubai to Brisbane (1.5 hrs in Brisbane Transit) 3.5 hrs Brisbane to Auckland. With similar timings on the return but we had three nights in Sydney to catch up with friends and relatives.
                      Peter

Feel free to browse my

Comment

Working...
                      X