Kirkness on a rare clam day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirkness on a rare clam day.

Got this whilst visiting Kirkness in the Orkney Islands in September 2015. It was a beautiful and calm day in the islands and the reflections just grabbed me.

I have converted into B&W, and highlighted the RNLI ship but keep coming back to the colour version. What do people think? What more could I have done?

Original:
    SCE_0856 by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr

Black and White:
    SCE_0856-2 by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr

Highlight on the RNLI ship:
    SCE_0856-mixed by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr

Many thanks.

Stan(II)
    Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
    Lightroom; Photoshop

Re: Kirkness on a rare clam day.

Originally posted by StanEastwood View Post
    Got this whilst visiting Kirkness in the Orkney Islands in September 2015. It was a beautiful and calm day in the islands and the reflections just grabbed me.

I have converted into B&W, and highlighted the RNLI ship but keep coming back to the colour version. What do people think? What more could I have done?

Original:
    SCE_0856 by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr

Black and White:
    SCE_0856-2 by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr

Highlight on the RNLI ship:
    SCE_0856-mixed by Stanley Eastwood, on Flickr

Many thanks.

Stan(II)
    Prefer colour no1 Stan, but with such good reflections in the water the scene somehow looks very crowded to the stern of rnli vessel, distracting me from the vessels themselves.

Comment

Yes. I see that. Had to take what was there and on other shots in the set I have focused in on individual or a couple of ships. However, the calmness is more noticeable in this one.

Thanks for the comments.

Stan(II)
      Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
      Lightroom; Photoshop

Comment

They all look excellent to me...I like the full colour version the most I think.
        I assume there is no more of the red boat on the right to be let into the shot, shame its cropped through it and theres spare space on the left....guess you'll have to save that for another excursion.
        super shots as they are....incredible calmness.
        Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Not to keen on the color pop on this one, however being a BW person my vote goes for the BW version, although the color does have it's strengths.

Tom

Comment

colour for me - very nice work
            :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I do like the mono treatments and a lifeboat is a fine subject for popping but the colour image is so good that's the one for me

Cheers,
              John

Comment

In this case I'd stick with the colour version. It's a busy picture and as such the colour of the hulls keeps the individual craft separated both from each other and from the background. In the straight mono version the tonality is too similar and they don't really stand out. I suspect you realised this hence the colour popped version - unfortunately in this case I don't think it works - it feels a bit like an afterthought where it needs to feel intentional from the outset.

If you cropped in and put more emphasis on the boats I think the pop would work better:

18007795095_d008de09ce_k.jpg

PS since they're shellfish shouldn't clams be well done...
                Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

Working...
                X