Farne Islands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Farne Islands

I'm thinking about driving up to Seahouses to go to the Farne Islands. However, when I was last there in 2009 it was too crowded with many people having no consideration for the birds or other visitors. At one point someone pushed me out of the way so they could take a picture of a puffin with their point & shoot camera! I was seated behind my tripod. All they had to do was say 'excuse me'. Another visitor nearly trampled on some tern chicks just so they could get the shot they wanted.

Is it still the same or has the National Trust done something to limit numbers and ensure visitors behave properly?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    http://www.cbnatureimages.co.uk

http://www.flickr.com/photos/101212171@N02/

Re: Farne Islands

I should think nothing has changed at all brian unfortunately I see it all the time at various "reserves" I visit ,and even in public places a few weeks ago I was photographing a little egret when a woman walked right in front of me and not only blocked my view but went to close and scared the bird off ,then had the cheek to come up to me and ask if it was a baby heron .
    Programs on t.v such as countryfile and springwatch has made a lot of people nature "experts " so they flock to places to see the nature often bringing there screaming kiddies and there oversized doggies with them ,the rise of digital cameras with ever increasing zoom lenses has also produced a lot of let's take a impossible shot that's a masterpiece and put it on faceberk brigade .

Comment

I've been a few times to Inner Farne and unfortunately the rise of selfie sticks does make it hard work for others. Never tried Staple Island and wonder if it may be quieter, selfie stick wise.

John

Comment

Thanks Jeff and John.

When I was last there in 2009 I said never again and it is a long drive from the other side of London just to experience the same again, so reluctantly I'll probably give it a miss.

Comment

I was there at some point in 2015 and didn't really experience any poor behavior. Yes it was busy but most people seemed quite amiable.

Was hoping to get to Staple Island but unfortunately the weather was never good enough for a landing.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
          https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

SWMBO and I have been twice now and I have to say that although it was busy both times, we never experienced the sort of thing you have described Brian.

If you let the numpties put you off, they have won!
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Hi Brian, being living on this patch i have been there few times and as others mentioned crowded but tolerable. The Staple island is better as they limit the boats going there every day but have to warn there were times i drove 90 minutes only to find they cancelled the trip due to strong currents.
              Raj
              Raj
              Flickr

Comment

It's a tricky balance. We, as nature lovers, birders, twitchers, photographers - whatever we want to call ourselves - do not have a monopoly on the country's nature and natural resources. I like to think that the people with phones , compact cameras and yes, even selfie sticks, are at least out there hopefully learning more about our natural environment and how important it is to our future. Sure, there are some idiots, but I think it is up to us to educate them rather than vilify them, however hard that may seem at times. If we can't help to bring up the future generations with a knowledge and understanding of nature then the world will be the worse for it.
                Chris
                80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                  It's a tricky balance. We, as nature lovers, birders, twitchers, photographers - whatever we want to call ourselves - do not have a monopoly on the country's nature and natural resources. I like to think that the people with phones , compact cameras and yes, even selfie sticks, are at least out there hopefully learning more about our natural environment and how important it is to our future. Sure, there are some idiots, but I think it is up to us to educate them rather than vilify them, however hard that may seem at times. If we can't help to bring up the future generations with a knowledge and understanding of nature then the world will be the worse for it.
                  I echo this comment 100%.

Comment

I totally agree with that statement Chris ,however there are lots of idiots out there that do not actually care .they are oblivious to there surroundings or even other people ,I.e the woman that walked in front of me ,or the adults flying a drone over a marsh harrier roosting site ,or indeed the pair of regular idiots who fly paragliders along the shoreline of the estuary up here one of the largest breeding/roosting grounds for waders in the u.k ,or the beach dog walkers who ignore the keep on a lead signs and let there dogs loose to chase thousands of roosting waders .in all honesty I give up on most of humanity

Comment

I agree that there are plenty of idiots about. But I've been a birder for decades and a "photographer" for less than a year. And I've probably seen as many inconsiderate idiots with expensive binoculars, scopes and cameras with big lenses as without. Unfortunately, no "side" has a monopoly on idiots.
                      Chris
                      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                        I've probably seen as many inconsiderate idiots with expensive binoculars, scopes and cameras with big lenses as without. Unfortunately, no "side" has a monopoly on idiots.
                        Completely agree and to get back to the original question, although critical of the selfie brigade, it wouldn't stop me going again as I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

John

Comment

I think the lack of consideration for others around you is just the way of modern life and not limited to a select group of idiots .
                          It's a regular thing in a wildlife hide we visit to have a 'Family' burst in , the kids reck havoc and the parent / grandparents not say a word , shhh would be helpful !
                          One story regarding a 'Photographer' being very inconsiderate happened to us last year when we went to see the Flying Scotsman running on the old Blyth and Tyne line , we arrived in plenty of time to set up and then this guy wandered past us with a step ladder and set up about 5-10 yards in front of us in our direct line of view , luckily i could move to the edge of the path when the Scotsman appeared .
                          As the train got closer someone crossed the road with a brolly to get a better view right in the ladder guys view , he went off it ! Pity he hadn't thought about that when he put up his steps......
                          Canon Eos 5D Mark IV + EF 16-35 L MkII + Tamron 24-70 DI VC USD G2 + Sigma 150-600 DG OS HSM S
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/60783975@N03/

Comment

Thanks for all the response, it's very much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                            X