Recent flight bans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recent flight bans

It looks like even DSLR's could be banned from being taken into the cabin. What are the members views on this?

Nat
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Re: Recent flight bans

Buy a caravan LOL

Comment

Yet another sledge hammer to crack a nut!! As someone who does travel extensively I appreciate the need for security measures to protect the innocent from the nutcases, but surely there are better ways to do it?

Comment

I no longer fly domestically because I simply cannot be bothered with the process. Last international flight was 2012 and I have used technology to avoid the need for physical travel since then. To answer the OP, I would be extremely reluctant to consign any of my EOS kit to the hold ...

Comment

The thing that interests me is that mobile phones are still allowed, yet this is a known way to trigger devices....
          Garry Macdonald on Flickr
          Garry Macdonald on Facebook

Comment

Interesting point on the news today, according to the expert some insurance company's might declare insurance on expensive items invalid if they have to be put in the hold as they will be "unattended".
            John

70D, 30D, G1X Mk II, G12, EF-S 15-85, EF-S 18-55 STM, EF 40 STM, EF 50 II f 1.8, Sigma 10-20 f 4-5.6, Sigma 150-500 f 5-6.3, Sigma 1.4 EX DG Teleconverter, Tamron 90 f 2.8, Tamron 70-300 VC, Speedlite 270EX, 270EX MkII, 430EX III-RT, 550EX, 580EX, 600EX-RT and numerous bits and pieces.

Comment

The driver seems to be the incident last year where a cabin bomb in a laptop blew a hole in the fuselage but the same device exploded within hold baggage would probably be contained without actually compromising the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                The driver seems to be the incident last year where a cabin bomb in a laptop blew a hole in the fuselage but the same device exploded within hold baggage would probably be contained without actually compromising the plane.
                Enigma is quite right here. It is this incident that has sparked off this ban. I too will never put my expensive Camera gear in the baggage hold.
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

I rarely fly these days but over the years I've had enough issues with damaged hold luggage that I'd never put a tablet, laptop or camera gear into it, so that's another nail in the coffin of my flying days.

Luckily, the UK is absolutely beautiful and we've had no issues holidaying here in recent years (obviously one needs to be prepared for rain, but I'm not a sun-worshipper anyway).
                  Chris
                  80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

I have not been too well last year but since my health has been restored somewhat I am hoping to fly esp to Canada to see my ailing elder brother and family before it is too late. I have to think about my camera equipment very carefully esp as I don't want to be told,when I am about to board the plane, that I cannot take my photographic equipment into the cabin!!!!!!! Most times,like Chris, I have holidayed in UK and enjoyed every minute and every day.

Comment

Standing by the baggage bay when off loading I asked the mover ( Muppets) if I could borrow his hammer...... what hammer says he...... the one you use to beat the crap out of the SLF's baggage says I........ one unhappy mover.

There must be a lot of baggage handlers ( Movers) at Heathrow rubbing their hands with glee over their new found fortune if it all does go in the bay.
                      Last edited by TonyT; 22-03-2017, 14:53.
                      Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Yep when I lived in reading there were waiting lists for jobs at thiefrow

Comment

Just heard that there was an attack in London. praying that everyone is safe.

Comment

Tom, yes, there was a terrorist attack in London. Very sad that this should happen.

Comment

If I had my own plane and decided to offer flights to the public I'd be searching everyone and have their bags open before I let them on. Of course anyone with a Canon camera would be invited to turn left on their way into the cabin. Safety first I say....even though I'm shattered having driven to and from Glasgow this week because I can't be bothered with airport queues. Mind you, I did get to photograph a few more service stations!
                              Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Working...
                              X