Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recent flight bans

Originally posted by tesarver View Post
    Just heard that there was an attack in London. praying that everyone is safe.
    Very sad indeed, 3 sadly died

Comment

This looks like my travel camera equipment will have to be carried around my neck which would mean my 760d plus lens attached (55-250mm) and two extra lenses in my pockets- the 24mm and 10-18mm lens. I cannot take my preferred 70-300mm L lens nor the 17-40mmL lens.
      Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Nathaniel - I don't see any advice on the government websites that says you can't take your camera in cabin luggage - where did you get your oirginal statement that cameras were to go in the hold?
        John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Originally posted by Nathaniel View Post
          This looks like my travel camera equipment will have to be carried around my neck which would mean my 760d plus lens attached (55-250mm) and two extra lenses in my pockets- the 24mm and 10-18mm lens. I cannot take my preferred 70-300mm L lens nor the 17-40mmL lens.
          Are you sure about that? I understood (can somebody please provide a definitive link )that only certain countries & airlines will be effected. I'm not sure that your proposed trip to Canada (on BA, Air Canada, or Air Transat, I assume) will be a problem.

Comment

Hand luggage restrictions at UK airports - carry-on luggage, checked-in baggage, restricted items and liquids, electronic devices carried from Turkey, Lebanon, Egypt and Saudi Arabia

I think that's the current situation.
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard W View Post
              https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-rest...ectrical-items
              Exactly Richard
              John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Thanks for all your comments. I thought cameras were also included as electronic devices. However, there appears to be a restriction on spare batteries for instance!
                Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

Comment

Hi Nathaniel, always a problem when you want and need to go somewhere. For me I will stick to cruises or the car in the UK as I will not be putting my cameras in the unsupervised hold of a plane anytime soon.

Stan(II)
                  Stan Eastwood.

Canon 5D MkIV; EF 24-105mm Zoom 1:4 L IS USM; EF 17-40mm Zoom 1:4 L USM; EF 100mm MACRO 1:2.8 L IS USM; 40mm Pancake; 100-400mm Zoom 1:4.5-5.6 L IS II USM; 580EXII Flash; BG-E20RC Battery Grip; Teleplus 2X Converter; Tamrac Expedition 5 Backpack.
                  Lightroom; Photoshop

Comment

Nat, the restriction on spare batteries has applied for a long time, nothing new.
                    Everyone - I now understand that the restriction on 'electronic devices' only applies to flights from just 5 countries. None of them are ones I would chose to visit anyway, but I accept that some may need to visit for business purposes as opposed to leisure.
                    My fear is that if these restrictions become established they will be extended 'by stealth' to many other countries.
                    Quentin

Comment

Thank you, Richard. I may be a fusty old killjoy civil servant but I do seem to spend a fair bit of my time trying to get people to look at definitive and official guidance and telling them not to believe/follow everything that they hear in the tea room or read in the Daily Mail.
                      Canon EOS 7D
                      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks for the link, Richard. Looks like the camera & lenses should be OK in my hand luggage (on my long-haul, via Dubai), but I'll - like Nathaniel - need to rethink the spare battery situation. Can anybody confirm my reading of the link that if I have one spare battery and I put it in a clear plastic bag (such as a sandwich bag) I should be OK?

Comment

Don't forget the battery charger as well!

Comment

Don't forget the battery charger as well!
                            I'll put the charger in my hold luggage & trust Emirates to see my luggage through to our final destination.

Comment

I have not been too well last year but since my health has been restored somewhat I am hoping to fly esp to Canada to see my ailing elder brother and family before it is too late. I have to think about my camera equipment very carefully esp as I don't want to be told,when I am about to board the plane, that I cannot take my photographic equipment into the cabin!!!!!!! Most times,like Chris, I have holidayed in UK and enjoyed every minute and every day.
                              At the moment there is no issues between the UK and Canada! You are quite safe...

Mind you, I expect to be off to Abu Dhabi soon, probably on Etihad, and they are on the US list but not the UK one! Emirates (not Etihad) are the only people who have ever done any serious damage to my luggage int he hold - a case slashed open! Fingers crossed the rules for Abu Dhabi don't change in the next few months...
                              Last edited by rcarca; 28-03-2017, 09:47.
                              Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

The main reason for the change as I understand it stateside is that in the Yemen raid credible evidence was uncovered regarding bombs being hidden as batteries in small electronics.
                                https://www.flickr.com/photos/23748789@N02/

Comment

Working...
                                X