Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LaCie 2big 8 TB (2 x 4 TB) Dual Thunderbolt 2

OK I really need to do something as I'm at 80% on my HD

I've looked at the LaCie 2big 8 TB (2 x 4 TB) Dual Thunderbolt 2 and it seems a pretty good unit, and the only concerns some people are having is setting it up, but I'll be calling someone out so he will have the pain of that :)

So interested to hear some views - I did consider the 12tb version but thats coming in at £900 and I presume once i fill the 4TB up I could just buy another unit

One thing I have been doing is going back over some old folders and deleting loads of shots that I will never process as they are either very similar to a final processed shot or just naff LOL -

:- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Re: LaCie 2big 8 TB (2 x 4 TB) Dual Thunderbolt 2

I assume it's two units which mirror each other?
    And additional units would just be anther drive on your network- not an extension to an existing drive?
    Is this dual drive strategy better than an on line back-up?
    Brian Vickers LRPS

brianvickersphotography.com

Comment

Seems an expensive way to get 4GB of storage if you mirror the drive.

Online would provide security of course though cost and speed are factors.

Personally I use 2 large external drives and use software to do incremental backups each day.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
        I assume it's two units which mirror each other?
        And additional units would just be anther drive on your network- not an extension to an existing drive?
        Is this dual drive strategy better than an on line back-up?
        yes the system backups to the other drive meaning you don't have to do additional backups, it wouldn't be another drive it would be my main storage as I'm looking at saving all images on separate drive now and working from that drive

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
        Seems an expensive way to get 4GB of storage if you mirror the drive.

Online would provide security of course though cost and speed are factors.

Personally I use 2 large external drives and use software to do incremental backups each day.
        yes I agree but somehow you need to back images up?

speed is an issue as I will be working from the separate drive.. As your still working from your HD Ant you can just use your method, but I'm trying to go external..
        Last edited by Tigger; 27-03-2017, 06:21.

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

All my images are stored on the external drives. The software does the backups automatically.
          Tend to store one of drives in secure location when away from home on holiday.
          Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS

Comment

thats how I started out Ant and have 2 external drives, my problem is my main HD is to 80%

Comment

Not sure if you could replace the hard drives with 2 8TB ones to give you 8 tb mirrored storage would be worth checking it out
              Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

its also sold as 12tb with 2 6tb drives but thats 1k !! - plus not sure how happy I would be about having such a large drive

Comment

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
                  thats how I started out Ant and have 2 external drives, my problem is my main HD is to 80%
                  If it's the main drive that's full then you options are:
                  1. Delete stuff or move to another location
                  2. Clone drive onto bigger one.

External drives aren't massively expensive 2 x 4TB should be about £250.
                  Last edited by antoeknee; 27-03-2017, 17:30.

Comment

My back-up is very simple...I use a WD Elements 1TB and save over my picture library....but work from the HD.
                    It requires discipline and I 'd loose editing to images that I've not saved as TIFFs on the portable drive.
                    They are only £50/Tb
                    I'm saying you could get a cheap solution if you don't mind the routine of copying over.
                    I've slimmed down my library by deleting over a few months working backwards in time.
                    Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
                      If it's the main drive that's full then you options are:
                      1. Delete stuff or move to another location
                      2. Clone drive onto bigger one.

External drives aren't massively expensive 2 x 4TB should be about £250.
                      yeah been going back over old files and deleting

cloning is fine but I still then need to have a backup solution in place

Originally posted by brianvickers View Post
                      My back-up is very simple...I use a WD Elements 1TB and save over my picture library....but work from the HD.
                      It requires discipline and I 'd loose editing to images that I've not saved as TIFFs on the portable drive.
                      They are only £50/Tb
                      I'm saying you could get a cheap solution if you don't mind the routine of copying over.
                      I've slimmed down my library by deleting over a few months working backwards in time.
                      this is one of the problems with HDR Brian 5x the photos :0)

I know I could just get a 6TB hd and do some type of manual back up, Ive got a 2/3TB small drives so I could use those. Its just the convince of using a Rad system....But I'm still considering options and may well just buy 2 separate large drives and back up the old fashion way... and probably save myself £200 or maybe less, it could be worthwhile just to see the savings I will make
                      Last edited by Tigger; 27-03-2017, 20:38.

Comment

I would work it out both ways...could you not bulk archive and thus separate what you need to have on your live/in use drive.
                        also, I use dropbox....not sure about the costs...i just use it free for work stuff only about 8gB.
                        Brian Vickers LRPS

Comment

For my part, I use a 4TB external drive which houses all my photos for LR with the catalogue being stored on the Mac HD. I then use another drive of the same size to back up the Mac via Time machine which also backs up the LR external hard drive
                          Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Originally posted by Parsen66 View Post
                            For my part, I use a 4TB external drive which houses all my photos for LR with the catalogue being stored on the Mac HD. I then use another drive of the same size to back up the Mac via Time machine which also backs up the LR external hard drive
                            I do exactly the same as Alan, except I have two 3TB drives.

John

Comment

interesting feed back cheers guys

so basically its this I either

1 - spend more and get a Rad system thats fully automatic with 4TB of storage... Which I know in 2 years could be full, but I could achieve old folders

2 - get a decent large fast drive and back up the old fashioned way - I do have 2 small drives a 2/4TB so could use those

I looked at the Lacie 6TB and this seems an interesting option and is £300 so £200 saving on the Rad system and another 2 TB so giving me a good few more years before I have to get another

Interested to hear your thoughts

Comment

Working...
                              X