• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LaCie 2big 8 TB (2 x 4 TB) Dual Thunderbolt 2

Originally posted by Tigger View Post
    interesting feed back cheers guys

so basically its this I either

1 - spend more and get a Rad system thats fully automatic with 4TB of storage... Which I know in 2 years could be full, but I could achieve old folders

2 - get a decent large fast drive and back up the old fashioned way - I do have 2 small drives a 2/4TB so could use those

I looked at the Lacie 6TB and this seems an interesting option and is £300 so £200 saving on the Rad system and another 2 TB so giving me a good few more years before I have to get another

Interested to hear your thoughts
    This stuff sends me crazy! I am pretty much close to full on my 3TB which houses both photos and backups. (I also have everything - or at least virtually everything) on another backup, and I am a big user of Dropbox. But some time soon I am going to have to get separate (bigger) memories for both photos and backup. I read all the comments about RAD stuff on here, and at some point my micro-switch goes off and I shut down...

Another project for another day, but hopefully (a) after the divorce and (b) before it all goes down...
    Richard Anderson Photography at www.raphoto.me

Comment

Always a dilemma. The software I use (free) you can schedule backup as frequent as you like. Currently I only only do once a day and it's automatic.

Have configured so that backup is incremental only copies what's new, modified or deleted.

Just realised your Mac user so not sure what software is available to you.
      Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
      https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

Originally posted by rcarca View Post
        This stuff sends me crazy! I am pretty much close to full on my 3TB which houses both photos and backups. (I also have everything - or at least virtually everything) on another backup, and I am a big user of Dropbox. But some time soon I am going to have to get separate (bigger) memories for both photos and backup. I read all the comments about RAD stuff on here, and at some point my micro-switch goes off and I shut down...

Another project for another day, but hopefully (a) after the divorce and (b) before it all goes down...
        same here Richard I've been "thinking" - "looking" into this for 2 years and now I'm at 80% full on my HD and I'm going though old files and deleting stuff, but it NEEDS doing LOL .. Also moving to remote storage and processing of images is going to be fun, but I've tested it using my laptop and removing files and storing them on my little 4TB drive then working from that does work

Originally posted by antoeknee View Post
        Always a dilemma. The software I use (free) you can schedule backup as frequent as you like. Currently I only only do once a day and it's automatic.

Have configured so that backup is incremental only copies what's new, modified or deleted.

Just realised your Mac user so not sure what software is available to you.
        On Macs we have Time Machine so should be able to use that - I think LOL I've decided on the 6TB single drive and using my small drives for back up
        :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

I use one of these, but do not pay that, there were a lot being sold in plain boxes on Ebay that were returns that were then reissued by WD as new with a full waranty in a plain box, I use it set up as a dual drive, Ie any picture I save to one drive backs up on the other, so I have 4TB capacity in effect. they also do a "Cloud" version too. It uses WD Red drives as well, which are about the best you can get. It also has the software to back up from your PC or other drives, as I offloaded all the photos of 2x 1 TB drives I have in the PC onto it, thus freeing up space. I have several of their external drives and give them the thumbs up, the good thing about the one above is you can swop the drives if they fill up or you have one go bad on you.

They do up to 16TB in size, BTW just checked the plain box ones appear to have sold out.
          Last edited by TonyT; 28-03-2017, 12:02.
          Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

I would just buy a nas box (4 or 5 bay) and populate with hdds and set up as mirrored raid which will show as 1 large Hdd and if 1 drive fails then you can just rebuild the array and not lose any data. and will probably work out cheaper than the mac option.

I currently use the WD cloud Mirror 4TB and it does scheduled backups
            Last edited by 2Beers; 28-03-2017, 12:48.
            Alex

EOS R5 EOS 7D Mk ii Lenses EFS 18-55mm EFS 55-250mm EF 50mm 24-105mm Sigma EX 70-200 Sigma 150-600c

Comment

cheers for the info and link Tony - from what I understand and its limited LOL the LaCie ones can use Thunderbolt access (Mac connection) which is much faster than USB 3 ...well thats what I've been told

yes Alex another option ... so many options arhhhhh
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Working...
              X