Bridges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bridges

Following the conclusion of this month's challenge, here are a few of my other contenders that didn't make the cut for my entry. Comments & critique welcomed - positively encouraged, in fact!

For the challenge, I decided to try some HDR for the very first time. My 750D will only do three auto-bracketed images at a time and being conservative, I just tried bracketing by a single exposure value.

Having my three images, I then used the HDR tool in DPP to merge and align into a single image. I played with various settings but generally favoured "Art Bold" which gave the best contrast. Further, I then decided to convert them to B&W, which I slightly preferred to the colour version

Here I've included the colour version of just the first one for comparison.

3748-Art bold by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

3748-Art bold mono by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

3772-Art bold mono by Chris Trollen, on Flickr

3817-Art bold mono by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Bridges

the shot for me is the 3rd although all seem over ? and all the B&W's look like the black has been sucked out :)
    :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Thanks Ian. I suspect I need more practice and more than just three bracketed images and what DPP can do with them to improve them further.
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Depending on the range 3 shots can be fine and looking at the sky it should be OK. Maybe its just asking a little too much for DPP - try downloading HDR Efex, its free :)

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

Comment

Thanks, I'll give it a go.
          Chris

Comment

I'm with Ian here in thinking the monos lack contrast and HDR Efex will certainly help fix that (there are some mono presets but you may prefer to pass a single colour image to Silver Efex also part of the Nik/Google set). However, as much as I like No. 3 my preference is for the excellent composition of the last one as the bridge leads you along, up and around - definitely one to work on.

Cheers,
            John

Comment

if you like the first & third images put the brackets onto dropbox and I'll see what my program will do with the merge

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, chaps. I will sort out the bracketed images tomorrow.

The last one of these was my original choice for the challenge - until I changed my mind!
                Chris

Comment

3rd image is well composed, but it is lacking contrast as Ian pointed out

Tom

Comment

The original files, RAW and JPEG, for all three images should be available here:
                    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t3ml4gzhf...WLyF9hDpa?dl=0

I've posted them on this thread rather than via a PM in case anyone else feels like having a go

Let me know of you have any issues accessing them.

I can't try HDR Efex as I don't have PS/LR. I have, however, recently bought Affinity so will give that a go, once I've worked out how to actually use it!
                    Chris

Comment

had a bit of a quick play with one image but didn't remove the sign :) odd on the downloads they look a bit blurred so the HDR isn't that sharp, also direct upload kicks the A*! out of the quality IMG_3772_AuroraHDR_HDR.jpg

Comment

Well, thanks for giving it a go! Are the single images blurred or just the HDR composite? They were taken hand-held so if they're not aligned properly perhaps that's the issue. The contrast and colours are definitely better with yours though.

For comparison, this is the image from which I created the mono, which is just using DPP's HDR & "Art Bold" setting:

3772-Art bold by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                        Chris

Comment

yes the single download images were blurred, perhaps it was just something that happened during the DB download, I really don't know - I normally wouldn't process it but as it was just to give you an idea HDR composite and what could be done.

Comment

Thanks very much for your help, it's much appreciated. I've just had a quick play with Affinity's HDR merge and fiddled with some presets and it's better but I need more practice as there's a lot more scope for further improvement, I think.

3772-Affinity Contrast by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
                            Chris

Comment

that looks a lot better - something to try is making a copy image of the under shot and then reduce it by one stop - then merge 4 you'll get a better sky and more detail on the bridge, thats what I did

Comment

Working...
                              X