Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lee Filters 100 mm polariser - circular or linear (and I don't mean the shape)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys. Can anyone shed any light on this? I'm thinking of buying a Lee Filters polariser for their 100 mm system and notice from their website that they offer circular and linear versions.

Here's what they have to say (http://www.leefilters.com/index.php/camera/polariser):

These terms do not refer to the shape of the filter, but rather the way in which the filter modifies the light waves that pass through it.

The type of filter required depends on the camera. If you use an autofocus SLR (digital or 35mm) in, for example, spot metering mode, you will need a Circular Polariser. This is because a Linear Polariser will interfere with the complex metering and AF systems of modern cameras.

If you use a manual focus camera, whether 35mm or medium format, you can use either a Circular or a Linear Polariser. If you are still unsure of the type of Polariser you require, check your camera's instruction manual.

I have an EOS 7D (Mk I), but there's nothing in its instruction manual about polarisers, despite what Lee suggest. I'm assuming from the above that I need the circular type, but I'd be grateful if someone with more experience of these things would comment on the difference between the two. If I were to focus my 7D manually, could I then use a linear polariser, i.e. Lee's 105 mm version?

Thanks in advance for all replies.

It's the circular polariser that you require.
    Edit to add:-
    Note that to use a Lee Circular Polariser it requires an adapter which allows it to be fitted on to their filter holder.
    There are other manufacturers of circular polarisers where the polariser screws directly to the filter thread of the lens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ST-EOS; 30-03-2017, 06:15.
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Re: Lee Filters 100 mm polariser - circular or linear (and I don't mean the shape)

Linhof Studio in Leigh-on-Sea, who sell the Lee Filters, offer 10% discount to Camera Club members.
      When I phoned them they were very helpful and even suggested I did not need one item on my list!
      Janet

Canon 90D, 77D, Plus a load of lenses, especially macro.
      http://www.leighcameraclub.co.uk/

Comment

Re: Lee Filters 100 mm polariser - circular or linear (and I don't mean the shape)

Most definetly the circular p.l ,depending on lens and hood fitted of not ,they sometimes come with a little projection to turn for the best effect .personally I would steer clear of system dedicated ones such as the Lee .but it's your money

Comment

Thanks to you all for your replies - as I've already got a big stopper for the Lee 100 mm system (used to use Cokin) I think I'll be adding their circular polariser (and adapter) to my kit bag before too long.

Comment

Working...
          X