Bodies, lenses, TCs and AF points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bodies, lenses, TCs and AF points

I really look forward to the magazine turning up and the latest issue duly turned up the other day. Whilst I've not read all of it in depth, I did read with interest the article on the 100-400 Mk II as this lens is a potential future upgrade from my Mk I, although only when they get a bit cheaper on the second-hand market (that's what my head says, anyway - my heart wants one NOW!)

In the quest for longer reach, I've occasionally used my Kenko 1.4x with my 100-400 Mk I. I'm happy to admit that I'm still a relative newbie and most of the problems are "user error" rather than the equipment but I've never really been happy with the IQ I get from that combo. So I decided that as long as it wasn't too pricey, I'd get a Canon 1.4x TC and try that. One of last year's issues compared the Kenko TCs with the Canons and the latter did seem to fare better and my own internet-based research seemed to indicate that there really wasn't a lot of difference in IQ between the II and III. Cost was another thing, though.

Anyway, the other day, I put in a cheeky eBay bid on a 1.4x II and won it for £160. Unfortunately, the seller then contacted me to say he "couldn't find it" and refunded me the cost plus an extra tenner "for my troubles". I have no reason not to believe him.

Then, reading this latest issue, and the article on the 100-400 lens, I spotted the body/lens/TC compatibility chart and see that the 80D (my next probable upgrade!) and the new 77D (which also has potential) both have 27 active AF points with the 1.4x III as against a single AF point with the 1.4x II. Obviously this is when matched with the Mk II lens, not the Mk I that I currently have.

Which makes me think that paying the extra for the III will be a better bet in the long run and that I got away with "buying" the 1.4x II from eBay. Now, what to do with that extra tenner.....
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Bodies, lenses, TCs and AF points

Nice to read your happy experience.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Cheers, Nat. Having only been a subscriber since last summer I've only ever received five issues (I think!) but in every single one there's been something of interest to me, which is no mean feat
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Since 100% of my use of the 1.4x mk II with my 100-400 mk II uses single point focus for wildlife, I've never noticed a restriction. So depending upon what you want to use it for, the additional expense of the 1.4x III may be unnecessary.

Just my 2p.
        See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

There's birds in them thar hills!

Comment

Thanks Andy. That's an interesting and very valid point. Whilst I currently shoot mainly wildlife with this lens, I plan to also use it at airshows and motor sport events. There is quite a big leap in cost for the Mk III over the Mk II but I think that those extra AF points could come in useful at some point in the future (obviously I need the new body too!) and buying a Mk II now and then regretting it could be false economy.

Or maybe I'm just massaging my GAS.
          Chris

Comment

Q: How can you make a small fortune using photography?
            A: Start with a large fortune.

Have fun.
            See more at www.andyleslie.com and www.facebook.com/AndyLesliePhotography, not to mention https://www.flickr.com/photos/andylesliephotography/

Comment

To be honest Chris , I would keep your Kenco converter until you have your new 1-400 MKll and see how it fairs . I may well get shot down for this , but the Mkl is getting a bit long in the tooth now , and it`s a zoom , these never seem to get the best from converters , and technology in lenses has got better . I have the 400 prime , and the Kenco gave some good results with this lens , and I only had manual focus till recently with that combo . The Mkll 1-400 is said to be as sharp as the now also older prime , I am very tempted by it myself , but like you don`t have the funds at present . I think the Kenco will give better results with the newer glass , I really do .

Comment

Be very very carefull re compatibility between different camera bodies ,t.c's and lenses ,some work some won't .to use a t.c you will probably need a body that a/f at f8 .
                Trust me it's a minefield ,an in actual fact you will probably get better reach,quality etc with one of the sigma big zooms and at a lower price to

Comment

Originally posted by the black fox View Post
                  Be very very carefull re compatibility between different camera bodies ,t.c's and lenses ,some work some won't .to use a t.c you will probably need a body that a/f at f8 .
                  Good point. As far as I recall, autofocus at f/8 is confined to a few bodies, all of which have to have up-to-date firmware. Here's a list I nicked from elsewhere. Yes, the number of focus points varies, but note that, with your current 750D, the 1.4x isn't usable with the 100-400 II unless you manually focus.

1D X Mark II
                  1D X
                  1D C
                  1D Mark IV
                  1D Mark III
                  1D Mark IIN
                  1D Mark II
                  1D
                  1Ds
                  5DS
                  5DS r
                  5D Mark IV
                  5D Mark III
                  7D Mark II

Comment

Thanks for the comments.

Andy - your list doesn't include the 80D and the new 77D which the article showed.

I know it can be a minefield and this post was prompted by the article about the Mk II lens that showed the number of working AF points with each TC and the various bodies.

I'm thinking about future upgrades not my current kit and whether the Mk III 1.4 TC is a better option to buy instead of the Mk II as it has far more working AF points with the 80D and the Mk II lens. This is one potential future combo for me.
                    Last edited by ctrollen; 01-04-2017, 07:47.
                    Chris

Comment

Look at the Extender Compatibility table on page 59 of the current issue, in particular the line referring to the 80D. This was what made me think getting a Mk III TC (which obviously will not AF with my current kit) is a better option in the long term.
                      Chris

Comment

Having had the 80D ,compatabilty with tc does not cover third party lenses such as the sigma or tamron . As stated it can be a minefield just be aware ,and as I said previously you might just be better off buying a longer reach lens to start with

Comment

I'm not denying any of those completely valid points and a longer lens is of course another option. But there's a reason that this post is in this section - which is that in the article about a specific lens on a specific body, both of which are potential upgrades (and I stress potential!) for me, the Mk III TC gives 27 AF points rather than the single AF point with the Mk II, the latter of which I almost purchased.
                          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by ctrollen View Post
                            Thanks for the comments.

Andy - your list doesn't include the 80D and the new 77D which the article showed.
                            Sorry!

Comment

I think that just proves it's a minefield!
                              Chris

Comment

Working...
                              X