Camden Lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camden Lock

I'm just back from a few days in London which took in Camden Lock. This was memorable on many levels as it's a really interesting place full of exotic foods, merchandise and people making it a great destination for both shopping and photography. The most memorable, however, was that some thieving scrote dipped my wallet It wasn't so much the £200 it contained (although that was bloody annoying) but the hassle of cancelling and replacing cards, driving licence, ID etc.

My mood following this is probably reflected in the processing I applied which may be too strong for some

5D3_5928_HDR-3 by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
    John

Re: Camden Lock

Yep, the processing indeed reflects a hard angry cold place. Well done John

Tom

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss John, something I am always very wary of when in London.

Not keen on the processing, the HDR does look overdone - have you a standard conversion to compare

stan
      Stan - LRPS, CPAGB, BPE2*

http://neptuno-photography.foliopic.com/
      flickr

Comment

Thanks Tom and Stan

Ironically as we walked into the mêlée I did ask my wife to make sure her purse was fastened!

It was a single shot (far too much movement for 'proper' HDR multiples) but passed through HDR Efex to bring some texture to an otherwise flat sky. I like the grungy effect and it's just what I was after but will probably reprocess at some time. Oh, I assume you looked on Flickr as it's quite a bit smoother there. Anyway, here's (a direct upload of) the minimally processed image that I find little different from thousands of others to be found online:

5D3_5928.jpg

Cheers,
        John

Comment

Just had a look on your Flickr site and love the set you've captured

Paul
          EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
          Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

The HDR version looks like it could make a good jigsaw puzzle.
            Bad luck on the loss, at least they didn't get your camera ......................
            It's years since I went to London, even though it's less than an hour away by train. I'll be perfectly happy if I never have to go there again, or to any city.
            EOS 6D, 6D Mk II, 80D, 70D, 100D, 200D, M50, M100. Canon 10-18, 18 - 55, 55 - 250 IS STM lenses, Canon 16 - 35 mm F4L, 35 mm EF-S macro, 50 mm F1.8 STM, 60 mm EF-S macro, MPE-65 macro, 85 mm F1.8, 200 mm F2.8 L II, M 15 - 45 mm, M 22mm F2, M 32mm F1.4. Sigma 24 - 35 F2 Art, 135 mm F1.8 Art, 17 - 50 F2.8 DC, 105 mm OS macro, 100 - 400 C, 150 - 600 C.

Comment

thats annoying about your wallet !!!!!

the photo, well I like the first but you knew I would... Only thing I don't like is the sky and that needs pulling back a tad maybe if you have PS use a layer with 50/50 mask ?
              :- Ian

5D Mk III, 24-105 / 70-200 f2.8 L / 100-400 Mk II / 100 macro / 16-35 L / 11-24 L / 1.4 & 2x converters and a bad back carrying it all ;o)

:- https://www.flickr.com/photos/fotosespana/

Comment

Sorry to read about the criminal that stole your wallet John. The first image makes me think of a jigsaw box lid IYSWIM. I much prefer the second one. But I can understand your need to go heavy on the processing in the first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Peter

Feel free to browse my
                Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Thanks folks, all comments appreciated and taken note of

Cheers,
                  John

Comment

When I saw the first image, I thought it was too overdone and wasn't sure. But then seeing the original I can see why you wanted the added zing. So overall I think I now prefer the vibrancy and 'artistic' feel of the first, except perhaps for the sky which is just too startling.
                    And sorry to hear about your wallet; I've been to Camden Lock many times and never had any problems but clearly criminals operate wherever crowds congregate. Don't let it spoil your memory of an otherwise good day.
                    Canon EOS 7D
                    EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
                    Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
                    flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks Alex, glad you like it (just)

As for the Lock I would love to go back and I'd drawn lots of cash with a view to spend it there (but someone just saved me the trouble). We only left early because I needed to cancel my cards.

Cheers,
                      John

Comment

Very nice John, sky is a bit bright though. Sorry about your loss.
                        Derek

EOS R, RF 24-105mm L f4, EF 16-35mm L f4, EF 70-200mm f4 L IS II USM

Comment

Thanks Derek Now my blood pressure had come down to near normal I can see that far too much emotion and angst went into the processing (of not only this one but most of the set) so will revisit them before posting any more. Probably

Cheers,
                          John

Comment

I listened and have toned the sky down a touch:

Camden Lock by John Leah, on Flickr

Cheers,
                            John

Comment

At first I thought it was a tad overdone but now seeing your sky edited version it's spot on John, nice job
                              Alan.

7D2, 24-105 L / 70-200 F2.8 ii L / 50 F1.8 prime / Sigma 10-20 F4-F5.6

Website www.alanreeve.co.uk

Please take a look https://www.flickr.com/photos/82149274@N07/sets & https://www.facebook.com/reevephotography

Comment

Working...
                              X