• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM

I drove a 13 hours round-trip Sunday to get this:

Http://danyflageole.com/photos/v/Unl...0mm+F4+IS+USM/

As Mickey Mouse would say "Dreams come true !!!"

Re: Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS USM

You'll have a lot of fun with that,hope you have a decent mono pod lol.
    Can i borrow it for the Cricket season.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Yes I'm hoping for fun and fantastic results. It will be used with a Manfrotto 681B.

Comment

DanFlag, have one myself, enjoy it, they are an awesome bit of kit.

Tip:

It might be teaching you to suck eggs, but REMEMBER to use the strap on the lens, or carry it by the foot, it is designed for that. DO NOT carry the camera around by the camera strap or camera with it on as the weight of the lens will not do it any good at all. I happily carry mine on my monopod head and shoved over my shoulder.

Tip two

Best thing you can buy for it is

plenty of places do them, this was the one I bought, your shoulder will thank you for it!!

Lenscoat do a better slip on lens cap, far better than the Canon thing.

other alternate is

you can buy cookware lids that fit, see

Classic Kitchens And More - Corning Ware Spice O'Life Corning Ware Other Patterns Corning VISION WARE & Lids Vintage Pyrex in COLORS Corning & Pyrex Glass Lids Corning & Pyrex Storage Covers Corelle Vintage USA Made Revere Ware Aluminum Cookware & Bakeware Vintage Electric Appliances Kitchen Gadgets & Tools Misc Other Kitchen Stuff Corning Ware Cornflower Corning Ware French White Pyrex Clear Glass & Flameware Corning Coffee Pots & Percs Restored Revere Ware Refurb CC Revere Ware Non Kitchen Stuff Revere Ware PARTS Corning Ware COOKMATES Corning Ware Country Cornflower Corning Ware Country Festival Corning Ware Floral Bouquet Corning Ware Frost White Corning Ware Pastel Bouquet NON Revere Stainless Late 60's - 90's Revere Ware Refurbished Tri-Ply Revere Ware Corning Ware Wildflower Refurbished Non-Revere Stainless Revere Signature Series Corning Ware Peach Floral Corning Ware Forever Yours Corning Ware Shadow Iris Corning Ware Symphony Corning Ware Sandstone Beige Corning Ware M MR MW Series Revere Ware Accessories ecommerce, open source, shop, online shopping

The other alternate I use and carry are cheap disposable shower caps, keeps the dirt out of the lens, can be stretched over the camera if needed, and as suggested by Stan, could be used as overshoes!.. from China on ebay they cost nothing for 100.

Welcome to the world of sore shoulders and backs :)

if it didn't come with the manual in the box, it is on line.
        Last edited by TonyT; 05-04-2017, 16:21.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Great advice TonyT!
          I already got the shoulder pad part covered

The guy who sold me the lens gave me a Corning Ware White lid that fits perfectly, but I'd rather get one like this http://www.lenscoat.com/hoodie-lens-caps-c-5.html, do you have one, which one does it take, X Large or maybe more XX Large?

You are also right about the Canon rain shield, I've got this https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...rm_Jacket.html which is way more convenient

Comment

I am very envious , good for you , and have fun .

Comment

I cannot remember, I will check the size for you tonight.

I use shower caps as a disposable lens cap if needed and they can be stretched over the camera body, I have a lens cover similar to yours that covers the whole lens and camera.

As for carrying it, I use one of these, I have was originally looking at the Tenba one that is very good, but one of these came up on ebay, was in mint condition with all the extra straps and he wanted £60, so I bought it.
              The 500mm fits in with the lens hood extended and a 1dx with extended out RRS L bracket and GPS module on it perfectly. Plus you can carry the monopod on the side, I use it for carrying it in the car etc. With a 1.4x on it is very tight and a 2x I cannot zip it up fully, but that is as I said with the lens cover extended, if I fold it, it would go in with room to spare.

In this he mentions removing the padded square at the bottom, mine fits in it fine! but it's a personal choice

Is the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 AW right for you? Learn all you need to know in The-Digital-Picture.com's review!

The other type of lens cap are these, but i like the one I have from Lenscoat

Manual is here

Last edited by TonyT; 06-04-2017, 15:48.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Thank you for the follow-up Fallow and TonyT. I'll be waiting for the size of http://www.lenscoat.com/hoodie-lens-caps-c-5.html, their website shows it's the XXX Large

Comment

Dan?, I measured across the cover end of my lenscoat cap and it is 165mm which equates to 6.5 inch so should be the, the XXX large, you would think they would label it lol.

and it is backed up as showing on the EF 500 page

Last edited by TonyT; 08-04-2017, 15:04.

Comment

Great, thank you for the follow up

Comment

I like that idea with the shoulder pad.
                      Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

The one I have which i posted the link to is very good, the flap conforms to your shoulder so the rail and foot etc is also padded, they do them for carrying tripods as well. It makes a heck of a difference when carrying it. I used to end up with bruised shoulders until I got it, now I don't notice it, which is the mark of a good item in my eye.

Comment

Working...
                        X