confession time OOPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

confession time OOPS

on monday after having a bit of a brain storm ,i went to a local camera shop and treated myself to a nikon p900 the one with the f2.8 lens and 83x zoom as the reach looked appealing .tried it out on tuesday and i was totally appalled at the image quality ,i didn't expect much tbh but what i got was far worse than any camera i have owned in the last 15 years .
    phoned the shop up this morning LCE and no problem bring it back in . i went with a list of desirables and spent over a hour in shop going through and discarding most as options .
    in the end i decided on a sigma 70-200mm f2.8 o.s lens and we shall see how that performs .i was going to go for a eos-m6 but theres none yet available so that will wait till later in the year .

and the wife is fully aware of the money spent so no blackmail attempts are needed

Re: confession time OOPS

Jeff, I am really surprised that with you experience etc you should invest in a bridge camera. I have in the past, due to my weight problems,seriously thought about buying a bridge camera- whether Canon or Nikon or any other brand but always decided against mainly on account of the shutter lag; although the IQ was a second downer! I hope you have now learnt your lesson!!!!!
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Tbh nat shutter lag wasn't a issue ,lightening fast focus and fire ,the one and only problem was lack of i.q ,all pics were totally soft ,and colours washed out .i used every p.p method I have (several) to try and cure it ,even monopod and tripod mounting didn't sort it .a really really bad product

Comment

Nikon don't exactly have a great reputation with compact and bridge cameras but the P900 is reckoned to be quite decent. I know one 'tog in Another Place has one and he gets quite decent shots with his. Maybe you got a dud...
        Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

My son has a Nikon Coolpix p900 & though it doesn't take much, he's shots are far better than mine, check them out on Flickr Jeff, Robert Miller.

Comment

hmmm does make me wonder .perhaps it was a dud one .won't be treading that path again though once bitten etc

Comment

Was it actual lens zoom or was it digital zoom, as that always is poor quality compared to glass.
              Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Optical zoom tony .as I said I tried everything including monopod and tripod ,every type of p.p I have ,but the shop staff seemed to know as they didn't even check it over ( suspect) just took it back with a cursory look at it .anyway happy enough now as I'm back on track with a upgrade of equipment ,my old 70-200 f4 which is the non i.s version .had a very reasonable bid within a minute of going on e.bay an there's a week to go yet .

Comment

I'd be interested to hear how you get on with the lens Jeff, still looking at a f2.8
                  Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Not done much with it yet ,but it seems very fast and good colour rendition ,,they also provide a small extension piece for the lens hood ,supposedly to work with 1.6 crop cameras ,I quickly Sussed out that it will make a lovely short lens hood and as it's threaded I am going to fit a cpl filter to it permanently as it will then allow easy turning of the filter .
                    Probably won't really start to use it till the weather turns better again

Comment

Working...
                    X