Waxing Gibbous Moon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waxing Gibbous Moon

Moon Looks good tonight, Had to take a photo.

Waxing Gibbous Moon by Glenn.B, on Flickr

Uploading does seem to add extra sharpening. Looks better on the Flicker Site.
    Glenn

Many More Pictures can be seen here:-
    My Flickr Site
    My Photium Site

Re: Waxing Gibbous Moon

Well captured with plenty of detail, what lens were you using and what settings. I had a look on Flickr but couldn't see any Exif

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Peter

Feel free to browse my
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_original_st/

Comment

Lovely image, Glenn, and as Peter says, with great detail. Really shows the benefits of photographing it when not full.
      Canon EOS 7D
      EF-S 10-22mm 1:3.5-4.5 USM, EF 24-105mm 1:4 L IS USM, EF 50mm 1:1.8, EF 70-300mm 1:4-5.6 IS USM
      Luminar 4, Aurora HDR Pro, Silver Efex
      flickr: http://flic.kr/ps/LXWuy

Comment

Thanks for the comments. I used a 1Dx, 600mm and a 1.4tc on a big heavy tripod. But what really helped was that the atmosphere was very clear and stable. it was really a spur of the moment capture as i had been putting the recycle bin out and thought how clear the sky was
        Glenn

My Flickr Site
        My Photium Site

Comment

Excellent shot. Having cut the grass last night, I was sat outside with a beer at about 7pm and happened to look up at the moon, I thought "that looks like a good moon to try and shoot when it gets a bit darker". But then I had another beer and never got round to it!
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

For what is a dead lump or rock it does portray a stillness and peacefulness, superb image of it, my attempt was dire with the 500 and a 1.4 or 2x, but surrounded by three major cities, dark skies are a pipe dream, normally i get an orange glow Well done and I am inanely jealous of you being able to see it, and photograph it like this.
            Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Hi Tony, Thank you for your comments. Please don't be jealous. But do keep trying. I'm looking at your gear. You have a 1Dx, You have a 500mm Mk1 or 2 ? and you have the MkIII 2.0 tc. this should set you up well.

These were my settings :- f7.1, 1/500sec, iso320. focal length 840mm. Don't ask me why i choose these settings, it is just what i settled at after 5 exposures. Single shot, evaluative metering. the Moon was about 60 degrees above the horizon. and i live in a town, think of a clock, if the moon is at 12 o'clock i had a very bright street light to my left at 10:30.

Quick edit in Lightroom ( you should be able to reduce any city glow ) From taking image to posting was about 18 minutes max.

It was a spur of the moment capture. But helped by a good clear atmosphere.

Hope this encourages you to have a go ?
              Last edited by Glenn.B; 07-04-2017, 11:39.
              Glenn

My Flickr Site
              My Photium Site

Comment

I love Moon shots and this is up there with the very best, superb detail

Paul
                EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
                Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Nicely taken

Tom

Comment

Great capture

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X