Modern sailing ship in Cartagena harbour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modern sailing ship in Cartagena harbour

SWMBO and I were in Spain again last week (hot and sunny, but sea still b****y bracing!) and we popped down to Cartagena (see, I can spell it correctly sometimes), where we saw this slightly odd looking vessel in the harbour. It did not seem to be carrying a name, so was presumably still being fitted out. It must have cost someone a bob or two!

Sails by John Liddle, on Flickr
    John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Re: Modern sailing ship in Cartagena harbour

Interesting! So interesting, I had to Google it

Apparently, it's the world's largest sailing yacht and has the snappy name of "Sailing Yacht A".

http://www.ybw.com/videos/video-worl...-germany-14145

Edit: and £360 million to you sir (as long as you're a Russian billionaire).
    Last edited by ctrollen; 07-04-2017, 10:24.
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Interesting vessel. It looks 'wrong' but I'm prepared to reserve judgement until complete.

Cheers,
      John

Comment

But I think it is complete - enough to have undergone sea trials anyway. Perhaps the interior still needs fitting out but I don't think it will ever look much different from the outside.

Interestingly, there also appears to be a bit of a scandal as it was allegedly built using illegal-sourced teak!
        Chris
        80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Chris and John - thanks for looking and commenting and for the link - it just goes to show you never know what you are going to see, so always have your camera with you!
          John Liddle

Comment

An interesting ship. John

Tom

Comment

Thank you Tom - yes, an intriguing vessel - one does wonder how much time the people who own these things actually spend on them.
              John Liddle

Comment

Working...
              X