Second moon attempt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Second moon attempt

It was lovely and clear on Saturday and prompted by Glenn.B's lovely shot of the moon the other day I thought I'd give it another go.

This was taken using live view using the 100-400mm with the Kenko 1.4x on a tripod with IS switched off. I think that if I'd taken the shots a few days earlier then I'd have got even more detail and contrast but it's definitely an improvement on my previous attempt.

Onwards and upwards, as they say

Moon by Chris Trollen, on Flickr
    Chris
    80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Re: Second moon attempt

Looks good Chris,plenty of detail.

Paul
    EOS 1Dx, - EF 24-105L f4,- Sigma 135 f1.8 Art - EF 400L IS f2.8, - Speedlite 430EXII.
    Freelance Sports Photographer for local Press - https://twitter.com/P_linton99

Comment

Tom

Comment

Hi Chris, Good effort !. Certainly moving in the right direction.

I am no expert, but might i suggest you up the iso a little bit 320 or 400 ? this should allow you to have a slightly higher shutter speed which should help.

The night i shot the moon the atmosphere was very stable and clear,a weather cold front had crossed Oxfordshire. on each of the nights since, i noticed it has not been quite as clear. Also your moon is 99% illumination. you may find you get better results when the moon is slightly less bright. e.g.:- half to three quarters moon. it helps with the definition on the craters.

I not sure if i'm allowed to do this, but this is the Moon phase site i used to get the phase of the moon and subsequent info :-
        Current, past and future Moon Phase Calendar. Click on Moon Phase Calendar to get complete moon phase details for that day.

Anyway like i keep saying, i am no expert but hope this helps ?

And as i said your going in the right direction, keep taking those images, i certainly will keep shooting the moon.

regards

Glenn
        Glenn

Many More Pictures can be seen here:-
        My Flickr Site
        My Photium Site

Comment

Thanks Paul, Tom & Glenn for the sage advice.

I did realise that having waited a few days that it had moved to almost full so will try again next time a clear night coincides with a half to three-quarters illuminated moon

Cheers.
          Chris
          80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Awesome shot!

Comment

Great result given an almost-full phase Chris! Good crater shadow at the terminator and you've avoided the "bright line" problem commonly seen along the opposite edge.

Comment

Thanks for looking & commenting Sophia & enigma. I haven't had a chance to have another go since then but, weather permitting, might be a good time latter half of next week.
                Chris

Comment

Very nice and clear image, well done
                  Canon EOS 60D; Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS; Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; Canon 50mm f1.8; Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon Speedlite 270EX; Photoolex Speedlite M800C: Various Hoya Filters; PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pipebender74/

Comment

Re: My moon attempt

Having seen such a great moon image I thought that I would upload one of mine taken a while ago using my 60D and my 4" SCT.

Half Moon by Tony Cox, on Flickr
                    Canon EOS 60D; Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS; Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; Canon 50mm f1.8; Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon Speedlite 270EX; Photoolex Speedlite M800C: Various Hoya Filters; PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pipebender74/

Comment

Working...
                    X