5D mklll spotty sensor ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5D mklll spotty sensor ?

I am getting a bit peeved with my 5D mk lll , after experiencing a noticeable purple dot , which seems to come and go , and now I have this ring shaped mark , I noticed after use at the weekend , which also seems to have come and gone on the same day . Examples below , all shot on the same day , same lens blah blah blah . Why and what are they , am struggling to have faith in it to be honest , as I hate cloning stuff , and I can see it so it spoils it for me . These could be flare spots , but why just there , and there is green ring which looks very bright and an irregular colour . Would really appreciate all and any suggestions , and comments . These are very heavy crops .

The fist and worst .

worse spot 6O6A8112.jpg

Still noticeable but not as bad .

2nd worse6O6A8142.jpg

Gone ?

gone6O6A8149.jpg

Re: 5D mklll spotty sensor ?

If you have to crop your pictures to this extent to see the small aberration I would not worry to much. Could be anyone of half a dozen things. From refracted light to grease or dust. If you put a picture up with this aberration in at normal size I would call the person who spots it superman or woman. Of course I'm sure others would disagree. If it's just one per pic, either ignore it, don't go pixel peeping, take more pictures and enjoy.

Comment

I had something sort of the same on a different model camera - one that has no mirror so is susceptible to crud getting onto the sensor. This may not work but i don't think it can do any harm and apologies if you've already thought of/done any of this:

1. Get a rocket blower and with the camera held mirror down blow air into all corders of the mirror box.
      2. With the Mirror out of the way - use the B setting and keep the shutter held down - repeat with the clean with the blower.
      3. With the lens rear element facing down, use the blower on the rear elements and the surroundings of your lenses.
      4. Get a lens pen and clean the rear elements of your lenses.

Using the blower so the air is blown up into the camera/lens allows any freed rubbish to fall out of the body/lens.

If it's not there all the time I suspect it's movable detritus of some form hence the cleaning of the mirror box and the sensor. In my case, doing this removed some "blobs" on shots that were only visible against the sky but like you, I still found them irritating. It's the OCD in me...

p.s. rocket blowers are worth their weight in gold - everyone should have one :-)
      EOS 7D mk II, Sigma 150-660C, Canon 17-85 EF-S, Tamron 10-24 and a wife who shares my obsession.

Comment

Got to say the first bright spot looks like OOF dew drop with strong light.
        A shot against a plain scene, blue sky good example, would show any dust/rubbish issues.

Had once on my 60D, as was actually out taking images at time I saw it I did:

1. removed lens help camera with mount facing down and turned on and off a couple of times
        2. still with lens off fired shutter a couple of times

Fortunately this cleared the issue for me.
        Canon 5D3, 7D2, 60D, Canon 70-200L f2.8 IS II, Canon 300 f4L IS, Canon 16-35 f4 L, Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, Canon 1.4 MkIII extender, Sigma AF 10-20mm f/3.5 EX DC HSM, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, Tamron SP AF 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD, Canon EF-S 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/16830751@N03/

Comment

I can't see anything untoward... The grass in the first shot (the same grass in the second?) looks to have dewdrops on it judging by the blades that are reasonably well defined so I would expect to see blobby soft highlights in the out of focus areas. In the last shot there's nothing in the background to give a point highlight so you aren't seeing one...

As far as I can see there is nothing wrong with the camera. Crap on the sensor tends to show up on the image as dark spots which range from barely visible at large apertures to annoyingly obvious at small ones and it's always in the same place. Hot pixels tend to show up as distinct, brightly coloured, pixel shaped squares in the image - again always the same one in the same place.

As Treff says, if you have to blow it up this much to see it it's not worth bothering about.
          Nigel

You may know me from Another Place....

The new ElSid Photogallery...

Equipment: Far too much to list - including lots of Nikon...

Comment

If it was sensor dust it usually shows up as dark spots so we can possibly ? Rule that one out .you say this mark appeared then dissapeared again ,it looks to me more like a water droplet on your lens ,were you shooting in a early morning (dew) or (fog/mist) environment .if it's not consistent then ignore it .if it shows on every imag then it could be on the sensor ,if it is as the others say do a manual sensor clean using a blower initially ,if that fails then a wet clean is the next answer either watch u.tube tutorials or give me a bell i

Comment

Thanks all , I think from the answers and comments I may have the answer . Firstly let me explain a few things . I cropped it this big to offer you a clear view of the problem , I can clearly see it without cropping into the image at all , so nothing to do with pixel peeping . Hence my annoyance . Though my wife often tells me I am much to much the perfectionist This was early morning , there were plenty of dew drops around , and it had been very foggy before I took these photos . So it is likely a touch of moisture on the lens and or light reflected from said dew drops . Still bloody annoying though and why so bad from just that one dew drop who can say , I hope that`s the end of it Thanks for chiming in in everyone .

Comment

Working...
              X