Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings from Berlin

Hello.

I come from Poland but since 2012 I live in Berlin, where I work as a programmer.

I made my first photos around 40 years ago with Zenit-E camera that was produced in former Soviet Union. It was very popular that time in Poland. Since the beginning I was interested in nature photography. Unfortunately I could not afford better equipment and for long time I used only point-and-shoot camera documenting some family events. Pictures of birds and butterflies had to wait for better time.

Digital era changed everything. In 2005 I purchased a compact camera Fujifilm FinePix S5500. I wanted to have something more featured and shortly after that I bought Minolta DiMAGE A1 and in 2008 Fujifulm FinePix S9600, which served me pretty well until 2015. Birds were still beyond reach but I didn't want to buy DSLR and carry with me all that heavy and expensive lenses. Astrophotography was my another dream and for that purpose I decided to give a try and buy a second hand, cheap DSLR. It was Canon EOS 1000D.

Astrophotography is still rather a dream, but with this low-end DSLR I could feel a difference. I was able to make, pretty good in my opinion, a picture of a stork in flight. Six month later I already had my current camera Canon EOS 70D. Now I'm thinking about better lenses. And by the way, I was right, they are heavy and very expensive :-)

I am a big fan of open source software and I use darktable for post-production. I find it as really powerful piece of software.

I haven't publish any of my pictures before but I'm going to change it. I created a profile on flickr.com last week to publish my recent photos and some other from the past too (including the image of flying stork I mentioned earlier). As I said I'm interested mostly in nature photography - flowers, insects, butterflies, and recently birds.

I am an engineer since I remember. It is simply in my blood. The most difficult thing in photography for me is making photos that could be called art. I don't think I will ever be an artist. I doubt if I can learn it. I would be happy if after years some professional photographers could call me a solid craftsman. I'm still learning and I'm open to any advise and critique.

Looking forward your comments.

Marek

Re: Greetings from Berlin

Welcome MarekI. I am sure you will find the members very friendly and helpful. Please post your pictures in due course.
    Canon 6D; Canon 760D;Canon G15;Canon 40mm f2.8(Pancake);Canon 50mm f1.8(ii); Canon 17mm-40mm f4L;Canon EF-S 10-18mm f4.5-5.6 IS STM;Canon EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 STM lens;Canon 24mm-105mmf4L IS;Canon 70-300mm f4-f5.6 L IS USM;Kenko 1.4x HD TC;Canon 430EX ii flash;Giottos tripod;Manfretto monopod;Cokin P filters + bits and pieces!

www.flickr.com/photos/nathaniel3390

North Wales where music and the sea give a great concert!

Comment

Welcome to the forum

Tomu

Comment

Welcome Marek, You will like it here, everyone is helpful and share their knowledge, it has helped me a lot. Back then the Zenith-E was sold in the UK as well.
        Canon 1DX, 50D, EF500 F4.0 L, EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L I , EF100-400 f/4.5-5.6L II, EF70-200 f/2.8L II, EF180 f3.5L Macro, EF 24-105 f/4L, EF17-40 f/4L, EF2.0X III, EF1.4X III, 430EX II, MR-14EX...

Comment

Welcome to the forum Marek, as Tony says you will like it here as all members are a great friendly bunch

Comment

Hi Marek, and welcome.

Dave
            Dave

Comment

Thank you for warm welcome. I'm glad being here with you. I'm sure that I can learn from you a lot. And perhaps sometime I will be able to help somebody with my modest experience.

Marek

Comment

Working...
              X