X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kirby Stephen steps

IMG_6134 by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

KS_Steps_6134_S by Stephen Thompson, on Flickr

A university lecturer friend of mine who is a Fellow of the BIPP is forever telling his students that simple is best.

This pic of the steps leading up to Kirkby Stephen Parish Church in Cumbria was taken with a simple little plastic "Holga" lens that I bought from an online auction site for the grand sum of £19.99 including shipment from China. The fixed iris is a curious honeycomb affair.

The intention is to produce Instamatic/Polaroid style images using a DSLR.

What you get for your money is a flat image with a dark vignette.

I underexposed this jpeg shot just to see what can be achieved with a little experimentation.

The second image is of course post produced.

And the verdict is: as fun little lens for when you've got time to play. I think £19.99 well spent. :-)

Steve.
    Last edited by powernapper; 10-04-2017, 23:26. Reason: typo

Re: Kirby Stephen steps

Interesting experiment

Tom

Comment

I saw the first image and thought good composition of an interesting subject but the image needed brightening. Then I saw the second image which was exactly what I had in mind

Reading the description I came to understand the reason for the post and, yes, a very valid and interesting experiment. OK the corners are a bit fuzzy but lets put it into perspective: I recently spent 43 times what your Holga lens cost on an 'L' lens yet I would expect few (other than on this forum, perhaps) to be able to tell the difference. A very good post

Cheers,
      John

Comment

Tom, John; Thanks for your comments.

I think I was lucky with the lighting and subject here. Not sure I'd want to put it up against an 'L' series in a serious test.

Maybe I'll post some more from this lens in the near future.

Regards.
        Steve.

Comment

Working...
        X