Vulcan Bomber Flying Inverted Over Newark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vulcan Bomber Flying Inverted Over Newark

Whilst travelling back from visiting my son back in October 2015 who is at university in Sheffield I caught a glimpse a Vulcan Bomber overhead as I was passing through Newark. Unknown to me at the time this was to be the very last flight of XH558 as it was returning back to its base in Doncaster after taking part in its final farewell flight. I managed to find somewhere to pull in and quickly grabbed my 60D. By the time I was ready to take the shot the Vulcan was already heading away hence the poor quality of the shot! However, when I eventually looked at the images I was amazed to see that one of my images had captured the very rare shot of a Vulcan bomber flying inverted (upside down). I later found that the pilot and co-pilot had received serious reprimands for this action. However, given that this was the very last time that they would get to fly the aircraft they thought "what the hell". Fair play to them!!
    Apologies for the poor quality of the image but I have posted it purely for aircraft enthusiasts and not for photographic critique.

Vulcan Flying Inverted by Tony Cox, on Flickr
    Canon EOS 60D; Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS; Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; Canon 50mm f1.8; Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon Speedlite 270EX; Photoolex Speedlite M800C: Various Hoya Filters; PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pipebender74/

Re: Vulcan Bomber Flying Inverted Over Newark

Wow! Lets not think about photographic quality here but just... Wow!

Cheers,
    John

Comment

Fantastic! I saw XH558 flying on many occasions, including on her last ever flight too (at Farnborough Airport) and two years ago at RIAT Fairford in formation with the Red Arrows. It's a shame we'll never see the likes of her flying again. And all my shots were pre-DSLR for me, of course!
      Chris
      80D - 10-18 IS STM - 15-85 IS USM - 55-250 IS STM - 50 f/1.8 STM - 100-400L IS II USM - 100 f/2.8L Macro - 1.4x III

Comment

Great shot of this beautiful jet, last time I saw her was when she Saluted a fallen pilot at Shoreham airshow.

Comment

Super timing, have seen Vulcan fly many times and do wingovers but never seen her that far over, good capture

Regards Paul

Comment

Well caught - what a wonderful beast!
            John Liddle

Backwell, North Somerset - "Where the cider apples grow"

Comment

Well taken

Tom

Comment

Many thanks for the nice comments guy's. As I said, it would not win any prizes for photographic quality but for pure novelty value it was well worth the effort.

Regards

Tony
                Canon EOS 60D; Canon EFS 55-250mm 1:4-5.6 IS; Canon EFS 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6; Canon 50mm f1.8; Sigma 18-250mm f/3.5-6.3; Canon Speedlite 270EX; Photoolex Speedlite M800C: Various Hoya Filters; PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pipebender74/

Comment

I remember seeing these flying when they were based at Wittering in the late 1960's/early 1970's, they looked too big to fly to my inexperienced eye back then.
                  Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way

Comment

Working...
                  X